Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

trading up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trading up?

hello im jake just got all my crap figured out on this damn acc and wanted to know what some of your thoughts wer on the yfz 450
i do alot of trail riding with no track at all
little bit of mud
jump alot
sorry for the long post

Old 03-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer
Default trading up?

If your experienced and you want the yfz dont let anyone talk you out of it, that quad will last you a long while as long as you dont try to kill it. I think riding a yfz450 is safer than like ridig a warrior .more stable handles better,when coming off jumps lands better etc. BUT, you said that you will be riding trails and not that much of track. the warrior is good on the trails and personally i think its better than the yfz on the trails but thats just my opinion because i've never ridden a yfz, i've just seen one but it seems like the warrior can manouver a little bit better since its a tad bit smaller. and if you are planning on moding one of those definetly go with the warrior because they are pretty much made to be moded and you could make that warrior be 5 times faster than the yfz with all the mods out there for it.

---------------------------------------
2007 yamaha wolvering 450 SE
2004 yamaha blaster

Speed costs money, how fast do ya wanna go?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Range Rover
Default trading up?

thank you but i do need something a little bit faster and i dont plan on modding much if at all and a 700 rap is to big for me and im on a little bit of a budget

Old 03-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default trading up?

No offense to miwOlvi450, but you are never, I repeat NEVER going to mod a Warrior to be faster than a YFZ450. Not drag type speed or trail pace capability. Well, maybe if you strap a jet engine to it or something ridiculous... If you like to jump, then the YFZ is an excellent choice. Spirited(fast paced) trail riding = no problem. Just look at what the vast majority of xc classes are being run with. That's right, 450 class quads. The YFZ is well represented among those ranks as well. Now if you ever go on slow trail rides, a lot of poking along with families and kids under 10 mph type stuff, get yourself a 400EX or Z400 or Raptor700, something along those lines. Or stick with you current Warrior. That is my take on it. I have been riding a YFZ for 3 years now.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default trading up?

A yfz 450 does fine on the trails. It may not be the best suited for trails but that doesnt make it a bad trail machine.

95% of my ride time is with a 450 and we ride 90% trails. I personally like my 700 better but my buddy who is about 7 years younger still prefers his 450.

Like Scooter86 said on fast trails and jumping its going to be great. Slower more technical trails will just require more clutch work than some other machines.

I switched from a warrior to my 700 and while I liked my warrior and had alot of fun riding it. It doesnt even compare to the fun I have on the 700. The warrior is a good solid machine but you will love the 450 compared to it no matter how much more you have to work the clutch in the woods.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Range Rover
Default trading up?

scooter86, has your yfz been reliable for u or is it required alot of maintinence?
i do like the z 400 also but just didnt know i have to have reverse so 400ex is out i like the z but i didnt know if the z was better for wat i needed probly not a raptorr 700 to much bike for me

Old 03-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default trading up?

Yes, pretty reliable. I keep the oil changed and valves adjusted but don't really baby it by any means. Mine has seen quite a few fast trail rides and at least 20 hours on mx tracks. My brother has one too, and every time we ride there is always the 10 or so obligatory drag runs. I am still on the original clutch! There have been a few other minor problems, but all due to me in one way or another. My brother has had to replace the top end on his '04(didn't service his airfilter frequently enough though) and had a sensor loosen up and call it quits after he jumped about 50 feet over a 40 foot double(oops, hard landing, lol.) For the record, the newer 400EX does have reverse. The Z is a great quad that was designed for your type of riding. 700R has about the same power as a 450 in stock form, but it is actually torquier and easier to control. All of these choices are going to be more tolerant of longer oil change intervals and slower paced trail riding. On the YFZ for example, if I follow my young son around the track, my fan kicks on before the first lap is done and she heats up. The same day, same track and I can burn off 5 or 6 laps 80% speed and the fan won't turn on. These things hate slow going.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Range Rover
Default trading up?

i may want to go slow once in a while but a 700 is way big on me how is the z400 at going slow? is alot of improvement on my warrior?

Old 03-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default trading up?

The 700 appears bigger than it it is because of the way the plastics are. If you look at the geometry of a 700 it isnt any bigger than other full size quads. The power is also more manageable on it than on a 450 class quad.

z400 would be a good choice as well. It isnt going to putt around as well as a 400ex but will do it better than a 450. They are slightly higher strung than a 400ex. It will be a big improvement over a warrior in both handling and power.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default trading up?

you need to see a 450 next to a 700 in person. my raptor700 seat seems higher...450 has almost a crotch rocket feel to it (i don't mean speed, i mean the way your body is positioned). it feels like you're lower and leaning forward on a 450 compared to a raptor700. my only advice to you is wait for the 09, 450 rumored to change over to fuel injection.

Quick Reply: trading up?