Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I have a few questions (Raptor)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2001, 06:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been interested in ATVs and snomobiles for a long time and I'm finally in a position that I can afford one. I've had some experiance snowmobiling, and very little, if no experiance four wheeling. I've decided to go with a quad because I will be in Arizona for a couple of years, and I like the idea of year round riding. I've also found that ATV's are a bit cheaper in general. Anyway, on to my questions......

First of all, it seems that everyone that posts here has mods. Can riding a stock machine be fun? Or does everytime you go riding, it end up being a race and you wish your machine was faster. I'm leaning towards a Raptor, and a Polaris for my wife. (Nothing definate) I've read so many posts on the good/bad of the Raptor. I'll tell you the truth, the main thing that drew me to the Raptor was the styling. It has a "newer" look to it. I have no problem adding a few mods, but I'm not looking to win any races. I just want to have fun and be outside. I'm thinking about new skid plates because I definatly want to protect my investment. Maybe a pipe, but I'm wondering if its really needed. I wont be buying until spring, but when it comes to spending 7k on a toy, I like to research it! Thank you for your time and responses. Also, anyone have some good sites for places that sell trailers?

Drekkyk

Old 01-18-2001, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

Drekkyk, Ya you can ride a stock quad and have fun, and the raptor is great stock but honestly there are two things I would change right away! First is the swingarm skid the stock one is plastic I bent my disc the first day on my raptor! Go with PRM skids there great, and 2nd if your ride for recreational the raptor is geared high stock so if you stay with stock pipe change the front sprocket (go smaller) I would put a pipe on in because it really gives the raptor a tremendous gain down low so you can ride taller gears in tight stuff. If you dont have much exp with working on them get the pipe and jets at once and make sure there the right jets for the pipe jetting is extremely important to get the full potential out of the quad! For your better half go with a Polaris Trailblazer there cheap and she'll feel safe with the automatic and good stability of the quad and it doesnt need any mods to be a good trail bike. Good luck with your choices and be sure to get some good helmets protect that head (very impt)!

Old 01-18-2001, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with Extreme165, the Rapter only needs two minor mods to have a great time: swingarm skidplate and shorter gearing. These are the only mods I have made to my Raptor (GYT-R skidplate and renthal 12 tooth front sprocket) and I am having the time of my life. Regarding every ride becoming a race, thats entirely up to you. I ride on woods trails and hardly anything can keep up. When someone is able to keep up, I just pull over and let them by. Unfortunately, when you've got the new bad machine on the block (the Raptor), everybody wants to race. To each his own.

Old 01-18-2001, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer

mods, well as of mods alot of people buy them but I can assure you you dont have to have mods to have fun I have a stock raptor and well I love it the way it is. one thing i have to warn ya about though is if ya dont have alot of experience with quads ya might think about getting a raptor for your first quad cause it does have alot of power and well as for all the people with mods well thats cause they choose to race and ya dont have to race to have fun but even in the stock tamed down version that the raptor is in it still can win a drag race with quite a few other quads out there

Old 01-18-2001, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

I also had never had a quad before and just wanted a bike that would serve as an all-around fun thing to ride. It does everything I want to do and more. I sure don't do it justice as far as it's capabilities. Even for an ald man (61) it is hard to keep your thumb out of the throttle. I would do it again without a second thought. After you have had a taste of the best of something, it is hard to settle for something less. Except for a FMF pipe (bought it because of the sound more than performance), and a 11 tooth front sprocket, mine is stock. And, by the eay, your wife is not going to be happy with you running off from her. Be prepared to upgrade her to a Raptor very soon. Just my 2 cents worth...

Old 01-18-2001, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

Raptorrider2001,

You're 61 and ride a Raptor? COOL!!!

Old 01-18-2001, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Yep! Got it for my 61st birthday in Nov. Let's go ride.

Old 01-18-2001, 05:49 PM
Range Rover

Rocky Ridge or Red River? Send me an email when you go!

Old 01-18-2001, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Will do. Aren't you a member of the Raptor Riders of North Texas? If so, what name do you go by? I had a response from you the other day giving me your email.

Old 01-18-2001, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

If that's the Yahoo! club, then yes and I go by bartolo. My email is bartkim@home.com

Look forward to hearing from you...

Bart

Quick Reply: I have a few questions (Raptor)