Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak400 vs Explorer400

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys~
Some hotshot that owns a Kodiak came over to the Polaris forum bragging it will chew up and spit out an Explorer 400. Would you guys/gals share your thoughts on that subject and some experiences you might have had with the 2 quads. I think the Explorer would blow it away in almost any situation. What do you think?

Old 01-19-2001, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

WIS,

How about re-reading all the posts I made in the Polaris forum. I never said the Kodiak would "chew up and spit out" any quad. In essence what was said is that I hear a lot of talk about the Polaris walking all over the Kodiak. Always hearing these tall tales how infalible that quad is. I merely presented a challenge. Let's see which one comes out on top. Funny, tons of people still posting how the Polaris will spank the Kodiak.....but no one willing to take me up on my offer.

Old 01-19-2001, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

How many Kodiaks have to be spanked anyhow?

Old 01-19-2001, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Thor,

Just one.......mine

Old 01-19-2001, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys NEVER know,FKNA just might be locked,lifted,vamped,and have a Chevy Vega engine in his Kodiak?

AT LEAST HE BETTER if he thinks his Kodiak has ANY prayer against a Xplorer!lol lol lol lol
Bill

Old 01-20-2001, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

I've been looking at both the SP400(I want a 4 stroke) and the Kodiak. I'm wondering which one would be best for me. I don't ride in real deep mud, mostly trail riding. Speed isn't real important, everything is faster than the Tboss. Some of my riding buddies ride SP500's and sometimes they are wider than the trails in the woods. I'm also not interested in competition, unless we're seeing who is having the most fun.

I'd like some honest opinions or both, I'll be riding both soon. Thanks

Thanks

Old 01-20-2001, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Well, my honest opinion is that they're both very fine quads, but if troublr is going to happen I think even Polaris owners would admit it's more likely to happen to the Polaris.
Go with the Yamaha if dependability means anything to you. Other than that it all comes down to which one tickles your fancy.

Old 01-20-2001, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

Hey thenewfiebullet~
Yes, I would agree with you that Polaris quads have had a reputation of breaking down faster/more often. BUT, they have also been getting much better in the past couple years, so I think their reliability is about the same as a Yamaha now. Performance-wise, I think the Kodiak would be a hair quicker and faster, but the Polaris has the advantage of true 4 wheel drive and top of the line suspension. Personally, I would go with the Polaris because I have had nothing but success with their quads. I'm not doubting the Kodiak is a bad quad, I would just prefer the smoother ride and true 4 wheel drive. I have almost 12 years of experience with Polaris quads...I have never once broke/wore out a belt, rebuilt an engine, or replaced sprockets and chain. Don't be afraid of Polaris quads and reliability...they are improving what was wrong with their quads every year. They build a high quality machine...about a year ago, they just passed Yamaha in ATV sales. Go with the Polaris.

Old 01-20-2001, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Well being a Kodiak owner I hate to say it BUT.. Being a 400 Liquid 2 stroke if that bike isn't faster there is something wrong with it, BUT on the other hand it is sort of heavy, BUT being a polaris it probably has huge ground clearance. That would be my deciding factor aside from looks and actually taking it for a test drive. One other thing worth noteing is it has a counter balanced engine, I don't think the Kodiaks do.. BUT i might be wrong.

2000 Kodiak 4x4

Old 01-20-2001, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

You guys are funny, your trying to compare quads that are obviously not built for speed.

There utilitys not sports, there made for work and aggressive trail riding not racing.

If you want to compare do it on the trails.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Quick Reply: Kodiak400 vs Explorer400