Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help with timing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with timing

I have a timberwolf 250 1994, I had a valve broken and replaced the valve and reseated the other one, so when I looked for the timing marks the book says an "F" and a "T" but when I looked there was a double line and a single line to the left of it, so I set everything to the single line, all marks were on started the engine up and bent both valves. I reordered the valves and want to make sure I do it right this time, can anyone tell me what I did wrong? marks on the top end were correct, and also according to book to make sure you are on tdc compression stroke the lifters should have alittle play in them and I checked that. am I off on the single and double marks? thanks

Old 04-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with timing

Trying to remember......... On the flywheel - There should be a solid line with the T or F next to it - One thing you may want to do is remove the spark plug, and using a screwdriver or some other slim instrument that will fit into the spark plug hole - insert into the spark plug hole so you can "feel" the piston move up and down...... as the piston reaches the top, you should feel it start to "break over" - as the piston starts reaching the top you should be able to see the timing marks on the flywheel. Since the engine always fires before TDC, so the first marks you will come to is Fire, the second marks will be TDC

Once you have the piston at the T mark, then align the cam sprocket mark with the mark on the head - after you have these 2 marks in position on the chain, you can move the cam (or holding the cam sprocket - move the flywheel) to line up the pin on the cam to the hole in the sprocket.