Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why are ATV's are the slowest off-road rides????

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are ATV's are the slowest off-road rides????

Since the purchase of my 01 Raptor, I've often wondered why atv's are by far the slowest off-road toys. I mean snowmobiles are much heavier & doing backflips I might add & they will outrun quads all day long. Dirtbikes are Quad-Killers for sure. I mean...for all the money we put out for a sportsquad...$10,000 in most cases with the addition of accesories to make them faster & the cost of gasoline skyrocketing. It's a shame that a company doesn't produce a quad with lets say...100hp at crank for those who work for their hard earned money. I can't understand how Billy Bob without an Engineering Degree can make his quad reach 70hp with only tools for the store & Companies with millions of our money can't give us what we pay for... The Biggest, Baddest, Fastest, Quad for $7k-10k. Anyone who was in the Era of 2stroke power Quads for $3k(mid 80's/early 90's) and getting as much power as the 4strokes of today. My heart goes out to you, because you didn't get screwed like the buyers of today.....

Old 04-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I think that there are 2 sides to this coin. A quad is the more likly of the ORV's to be used all year around they are also the the only one that can be used for multitasking that beeing pleasure riding or work related jobs. In my experiance with all ORV's I think quads in gereral have the best maintence/reliabilty record.
To make a long story short I think you get more for your money! It's not all about speed!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

So how fast do you want to go?

Personally no amount of "go juice" [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] gives me the desire to hit a mud hole at 100+.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

me personally i dont see the need to go 100mph. i'm very content with my ATV. at times yeah i wish they would come off the line with things like aftermarket exhaust/clutch kits/air filters so i wouldn't have to spend the money on it. but then how would bike bandit and rockymountain ATV get their money. and IMO you're comparing apples and oranges. dirt bikes are lighter of course they are going to be faster. snow mobiles have one use RIDE on the snow. i guess thats just my 2cents and this is about 2mins of my life that i'll never get back Thanks alot buddy

Old 04-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

I don't think of it being a how fast can you go thing, as much as it is a how fast can you stop thing.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

JT,

With all of your toys it seems that you can afford to spend the $3k to make your Quad faster...

--> 05 Yamaha R1
--> 04 KTM 525sx
--> 01 Raptor
--> 08 Can-Am Spyder

I agree with Dodge57hemi "It's not all about Speed". I have ridden a '02 Raptor 660 and it is a pretty fast quad.. how much more speed you need man? You have your R1 Street bike to fill your need for speed! Rode one of those too.. FAST!!! Scary Fast if you ask me...

Dirtbikes will be quad killers FOREVER... better power to weight ratio! As far as Sleds MUCH heavier? Ah Nope..... Ski-Doo sleds for 08-09 are tipping the scale at a mere 399 lbs / 440 or so wet... and pushing 110-150 hp STOCK, from Smokers of course.. but still.. Most utilities weigh 600 plus and even sport quads are weighing in at 350~400lbs..

100hp at the Crank...... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA can't even reply to that one... nope.. sorry...

Old 04-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

It's probably an issue of liability as much as it is necessity. As DODGE57HEMI said, "it's not all about speed", safety and reliability is also a concern. I'll ride my sled at 100MPH on a nice flat section but I don't think I would want to be on a ORV at that speed.

Also most sleds, especially 2 strokes need constant maintenance and repairs. Dirt bikes are limited to where they can ride and don't perform well in super muddy terrain. Anything else made for the street can go as fast as the nice smooth road allows and the law doesn't know about.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

ok, take the motor out of your R1 n put it in your rappy and you'll be happy

Old 04-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Rappys pretty damn fast...Fast enough and more for me..What the hell do you want to ride at 100mph??Track??=death,Trails??=death..even in sand you are looking for big-time trouble..Salt flats??Only a couple in the country..Mine with the Mods I have will go 85..I know that because,I have a trail-tech vapor..It was not even pinned..I was on pavment and scared the crap out of myself..There is no need for a ATV to do 100+mph
go poke around raptorforums.com Their are guys that have put R1 motors on Raptors..They are fast,but you cant turn..

Old 04-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Hahaha...

To defend JT... the only 100 he mentioned was 100 HP [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It was OIown12 that mentioned 100mph + while sauced[img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] up

This is a good thread though - providing me with some [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Why are ATV's are the slowest off-road rides????