Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

turbo charging a banshee

Old 07-12-2008, 02:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo charging a banshee

I was pointing out that one of the biggest is you have the intake and exhaust stroke on the same stroke with a two stroke. When this happens the intake charge blows right out the exhaust. The only thing that will trap the intake charge is the turbin wheel backpressure. This is a tough balancing act.

exrider91 there is plenty of good, cheap, reliable ways to make massive power out of a two stroke. Turbo's aren't one of them.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default turbo charging a banshee

Nitrous!

Old 07-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 07-19-2018, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Guys I have stumbled across this old post and wanted to clarify a bunch of this conversation...I know a day late or so, but here it goes. I Owned one of these A&S Turbo Banshees, It Screamed! it ran 9 seconds in the quarter mile at Lapeer dragstrip, and 81 MPH at Comp Hill / Oldsmobile hill in Glamis California. A&S Built an amazing kit but most of it was parts from other sources. The Kit Uses a Bone stock banshee engine. Dan Hull would machine a trench around the crank case to take a rubber gasket seal that was glued in, and he would Glue in the crank seals. The exhaust pipe was a two into one dynoport pipe with the turbo Flange welded onto it. The Magic was with the turbo and the Air box and blow off valve. The Turbo was made by a company called Aerodyne, and it was a self contained oiled turbo that used a proprietary and patented design and oil for lubrication. the Patent was held by the designer and through whatever life events Aerodyne had gone in and out of business so you couldn't easily get parts for the turbo if it had a bunch of two stroke parts fly through it. the Bike ran on Alcohol through a pressurized Areo quip fuel system into stock carbs that were drilled out or jetted to run alcohol, motion pro caps on them that were vented to the intake box and blow off valve somehow. the battery was mounted in the front of the frame for the fuel system and the coil was swapped out to an arctic cat coil so it wouldn't blow out the spark. There were 4 of these bikes built by Dan, two of them were personal bikes, one for me and one for another guy, he tried to do a cheetah motor turbo with the same set up, but the boost would just blow off the pop off valve and it wouldn't run that great. I ran my bike with 18 and 22 lbs. of boost and it produced a documented 185 HP on the dyno. to handle all of that power it used a FZR street bike clutch and also had a sun coast lockup on it. I had a Tyson Racing swing arm with a wheelie bar, Tyson A Arms and Marvin Shaw Shocks. A&S Dan Hull is still around Building some of the fastest Snowmobiles as far as I know, he was friends with Brad Tyson from Tyson Racing who also built a couple of Turbo banshees, but he was trying to do it with a turbo from a Chrysler product and had an electric oil pump and catch can container like a Harley for Lubrication, but there were other issues that made that set up troublesome. Mostly it was the turbo. My bike was sold to a gentleman out west and I suspect it is on a shelf. I Hope that this brings closure to the debate as to if it can be done and or maybe triggers someone else to try and build another one of these monsters.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

Anything can be one with a big enough budget. Just make sure you have pockets deep enough. A couple years ago I turbocharged and intercooled my Arctic Cat 700 Diesel ATV. Cost a bunch! Over $4,000! Was it worth it? YUP ! At 15+ psi boost, it has gone from kinda slow to ripping the tires off! Well, top speed is limited by the 4300 rpm rev limiter/ 50 mph, but it gets there right now. Torque, however is unreal. My turbo (Mitsubishi) is not only oil cooled, but water cooled as well.