Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

chain problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain problems

ok oi have 2 atvs a 1988 lt230 and a 2001 yamaha warrior i have the same problem on both of them the chain falls off all the time on both of them. they both
have tight chains when i start riding and wheen i end riding so i dont know how they can fall off so much. i thought it was where/the way i ride but the same thing happens to my brother when he rides them and when i ride my friends the same way the chain stays on. i asked the dealer he said check all the barrings so i replaced them all still happened so i had them profesionally replaced(the guy who did it said it was a waste of time the old ones were fine) i dont know what to do should i get chain tensioners or is that just a bandaid on a broken arm

im going to post this in other sections to get more ideas thanks

Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default chain problems

Either the chain is not really tight, the sprocket is bent, the sprocket/chain is worn in a different pattern, or the axle is not straight with the engine. More than likely the chain is not tight enough. When you say "it's tight", how are you checking it, and how tight is it? I usually tighten mine until there is only 3/4" - 1" of play in the center of the chain on the top & BOTTOM with no weight on the 4wheeler. Make sure there is not excesive slack on the bottom when the top looks tight.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Range Rover
Default chain problems

this is a problem i would fix right away. my friend threw a chain and it punched a hole and cracked his engine case. and he had to buy a used motor to get case due to the size of the hole. i think Raptor450 is right. i would get a tap measure and i measure from my outer most part of my pegs to the (i think it is called the hub?) with the rims off and have the of the hubs sticking strait up. also i would check the drive sprocket making sure nothing is behind it to make it lop sided. look at your rear sprocket that might be bent and your axile. i put lock tight on my threads when i tighten them on my axile. as for my chain, will i only have about 1/2 play becasue i weigh about 130 lbs. your sprockets might be worn and you need to replace them both. also i would buy a new chain cause they do stretch over time making the gaps wider than normal over time. since they are both doing this, i dought it is the bearings after all both bearings on the bikes went out the same time? i hate to say, i would think it is the workmenship/adjustments. hope it helps, good luck

Old 05-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default chain problems

so i looked at everything and it was all lined up everything worked fine after i took a few linkes out and adjusted the housing bolts they kept losining up and i was wondering if chain tensioners are a good investement or are they just a waste of money

thanks