Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is a K AND N AIR FILTER SAFE TO USE

I HAVE READ GOOD AND BAD ANYONE WITH ACTUAL EXPERIENCE THANKS

Old 05-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider

I have a k&n filter on my warrior. I've used them for years on all my vehicles, even my race car. they work great, imo. if you get one for your quad, get an outerwears cover for it and you won't have to clean it as often.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will open up a whole can of worms here , but the reason i don't use the K&N air filters is that they allow more air to the engine for more power ; and any filter that allows more air in the intake will allow more dirt into the engine !

K&N air filters are popular with people who own classic musle cars for as long as i can remember , because they give you more power ; but think about it for a while how many classic musle cars do you see people driving offroad ?

The only ones i've seen are at car shows and drag strips on asfaust and paved roads , most people trailer these classic street machines to and from these car shows and drag strips ; so that's why i don't use them on my atvs or anyother ORV's !

You will hear from many who don't share my thoughts on the K&N air filters , but that's the way i see it if they were the best ones to use ; the manufacturers would've put them on from the factory !.....

Old 05-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

yep, you opened up a can of worms! lol. the factory won't put one on because of cost issues. a k&n does as good a job of filtering out the bad stuff (dirt, dust, small animals) as a stock filter does, if not better. only way a k&n will allow more dirt in is if it is not oiled properly. I use a k&n on my 4x4 nissan truck also and I take it off-road a lot also. that's one of the reasons I mentioned getting an outerwear for it also, as its a pre-filter of sorts. a filter for the filter.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Guy by the name of Phil who own's Phil's cycles in El Reno Oklahoma changed my mind on K&N filters. Basically what he said was bring him any foam filter after you clean it and it's gaurenteed you will be able to knock sand out of it. Said the key to K&N's is to keep it oiled. They clean much easier and more thoroughly than foam.

Comes down to preference. K&N probably requires little more maintance but, it's an easy task that should be done regardless.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

i have always stuck with the foam...in my eyes their easier to clean and if properly oiled do just as good of a job

Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: yamahawarriormods

i have always stuck with the foam...in my eyes their easier to clean and if properly oiled do just as good of a job</end quote></div>

His point was that foam filters catch the dirt and grim deep inside the foam making it harder to get out, where K&N stops it on the surface.

I had to agree. I wash and wash the foam and when it dries you will sure enough see specks in it.

I'm not getting into which is better. As I said before it's personal preference. No different that Honda vs. Yamaha or Ford vs. Chevy.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Being a car guy I will tell you that I use K&N on every vehicle in the family not just mine but my entire fam. that being 8 vehicles. I also have put them on every quad dirt bike and go cart as well. I never have had any issues with any of them! Just saves us in long run buying filter esp on the Diesel trucks! And as said before the biggest issue is making shue they are properly oiled!

If you at all follow Nascar I will tell you that 90% of the teams use K&N as well!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I use one on my Tow vehicle, F350 7.5L. Dirt bikes and quads have foam filters.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

K&N is hands down the best filters out there if cleaned, oiled, and used correctly it will be all fine just like most other things...i have tried twin air and uni and all other foams...but i just like K&N the most and thats my opinion...

Quick Reply: is a K AND N AIR FILTER SAFE TO USE