Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hauling 00 Banshee 350cc Upright

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hauling 00 Banshee 350cc Upright

ooops wait i was thinkin 400ex there sump, the 450's arent and i see what your saying bout 2stroke, its still crankcase oil but it doesnt actually go to the crank its divided, i see what you meant on that part, its still crankcase oil because even though its divided it still goes in the crankcases calling it gear oil would just be more specific

Old 05-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

That may be, but it is incorrect. That would be like saying I need the crank case oil changed in my two stroke.
</end quote></div>

Yes...you do. It's the same Oil as a the four stroke in most cases...Well, that's what the parts guy at the Yamaha dealership told me, as I'm sure you know it's not unheard of for them to be wrong.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Yes...you do.</end quote></div>
Ha ha ha ha, ok, if you can change the "crank case oil" in your two stroke quad, more power to ya.
I change the "gear case" oil in my two stroke bike.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>It's the same Oil as a the four stroke in most cases...</end quote></div>
So? Just because it's the same oil does not make it a "crank case".
I just got through putting a clutch in a late model Camero. I put ATF in the "gear case". Does that turn this 5 speed manual into an automatic just because it uses the same oil I put in my 700R4 automatic?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Well, that's what the parts guy at the Yamaha dealership told me, as I'm sure you know it's not unheard of for them to be wrong.</end quote></div>
Go back in the back and ask the tech and see what he say's. Ask him if it's a "gearcase" or "crankcase" that has the oil in it.

My point of this whole long discussion is, you can hydraulic a 4 stroke with oil. You can't with a two stroke. Be careful of standing a 4 stroke on it's tail and don't worry about the two stroke.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Ok....I'm not arguing here with ya man just to make that clear. I do however want to know the difference between, the gear case and the crank case. Yes, I know the difference on a vehicle but, I'm talking quads here.

Are we saying the same thing and it's just a terminology thing? Or are you saying there different compartments for oil because, I don't recall separate places to fill the oil on the 'shee. That is other than the gas tank for the mixing which, oils the....crank...wait a minute..... Ok, I'm following you.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Koopa, the only reason I'm making a big deal out of all of this is because on a 4 stroke it "can" be a big deal. It is only words like you say but it can make a big difference.

I'm sure you understand that gear case oil can't get into the combustion chamber of a two stroke and hydraulic it. I just want to make damn sure the O.P. and other forum members understands this and knows this.

Just as long as everybody understands that oil can get above the piston and hydraulic a 4 stroke and break things and that can't happen on a two stroke I'm all good with calling the sump anything you, me or anybody else wants.

Bottom line is I want to make sure nobody hurts and perfectly good engine by doing something they don't understand. As long as the O.P. understands this, we are good to go and you will hear no argument from me.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Range Rover

omg this is so funny, if 2-strokes had crank case oil they wouldnt be getting out-ruled by emissions laws. the crank case is the rotational drive. the piston is connected the connection rod, which is connected to the crank, as the piston goes up and down the crank goes round and round, as the piston does two strokes the crank goes around once and uses gear drive to get the power inside the gear case, the lubrication for 2-strokes in the crank case is indeed from mixing the gasoline with premix, which also lubes the piston and cylinder. on a 4-stroke some use the same crank case and gear case oil some don't, and when i used to tilt my rappy on the grab bar, it woudnt start, i had to tear the top-end down and dry out the cylinder and clean it.

gear case, tranny, includes gears and clutch
crank case, connects to piston, goes roundi round

look just above the gears, there is the crank, sitting in its own space that does not use engine oil like a 4-stroke

http://www.bansheehq.com/forum...topic=89276&hl=carnage

Old 05-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

Koopa, the only reason I'm making a big deal out of all of this is because on a 4 stroke it "can" be a big deal. It is only words like you say but it can make a big difference.
</end quote></div>

Totally understand man. I thank you for it. I know it took me a min to get what you was saying and that's my fault. Had a blond moment.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: speedyman12345
omg this is so funny, if 2-strokes had crank case oil they wouldnt be getting out-ruled by emissions laws...
</end quote></div>

Nobody arguing with that man. I was just being a little dense. Just not use to the correct terminology. As I said at beginning of thread I haven't had a lot of experience with 2-strokes but, I know how they work. Rebuilt a blaster last winter after we had a trans problem. (Ya, I'm proud of that.)

Old 05-27-2008, 01:36 AM
Range Rover

oh no man i wasn't talkin about you being funny, this whole arguement thing, thats cool man there was a day i never knew what the difference was between a 2 and a 4-stroke.

later duuuuuudez

Old 05-27-2008, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

yep i agree good arguement lol i think we finalized this thread i bet this answerd the originators question lol