Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Length with +4 swing arm.... vrs 250r..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2001, 01:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a question for some of you that have both a R and a raptor. I ordered a +4 swing arm from LSR, when I talked to them, I expressed some concern about stretching it out to much for the trails. They told me that the raptor with a +4 swingarm is still 1" shorter than a 88' 250r ( I think it was 88.. can't remeber for sure) Any ways I was wondering.. IS THE RAPTOR REALLY 5" SHORTER WHEELBASE than the 250r??? Also if any one has a extended axle on there raptor and has picks would you please send them to me, or let me know where I could see them at?? I would really like to see one with the extended swingarm..

Thanks
Brad

Old 01-23-2001, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

If memory serves me correctly, the 86-87 250R's wheelbase was 51", the 88-89 were 1.5" shorter, so they were approx 49.5". The Raptor is 49".

What they were probably trying to say is that the Raptor's engine cradle stretches back farther than the R or EX and uses a much shorter swingarm to get the same wheelbase. So the swingarm may indeed be 4-5" shorter, but the wheelbase is not.

Old 01-23-2001, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Predator, how much did you pay for the swingarm and are you able to use the stock bearing carrier? I wouldn't mind getting an extended one as well some day.

Old 01-23-2001, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Predator

The wheelbase on the Raptor (49) is roughly one inch shorter than the 88' 250r (49.8). I am sure LSR is refering to the 1 inch longer swingarm they sell and not the +4. I have no idea where 86atc250r came up with the engine cradle being farther back.

Bartman

LSR is going to make both styles. One tyhat uses the Honda style carrier and one that uses the stock carrier. All they are making right now are the Honda style models. They told me it would be spring before they make the stock ones.

86atc250r

Please go back to the Honda forum.

Where does he come up with this stuff????

Old 01-23-2001, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Predator - I have no info about 250R but I do have the swingarm on mine now and the production exhaust should be on by end of week hopefully. With the +4 swingarm and Lonestar axle it looks more like I think it should and I can't wait to try it out. I also went back to 13 tooth front sprocket and went up to a 45tth on the rear instead. I am having suspension worked over at Circuit one here in Oregon City this week too. I purchased piggyback 3 rate shocks and he is revalving and springing rear shock to allow for longer swingarm. Anyways I hope to have it back by Sat. or first of week so I can take it to the beach next week to test new additions. I also just added Pro-Design filter system today.

I am going to Glamis in middle of Feb so I am trying to get all dialed in. Let me know if you want to stop by or have time during next week when I hope to run to Sand Lake and test for the day. I have a feeling I will have to do addttl jetting if my exhaust guy doesn't dial it in with the new air filter.

Regards,

Old 01-24-2001, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

Give it a rest already, why don't you come up with some real numbers if you think we're that far off instead of simply making snide comments.

BTW I'm honored that 4 out of 5 of your (very clever) posts have been directed at me.

Predator, if you want to get a measurement from the center of your pivot bolt to the center of your axle and post it here, I will do the same on my 250R & then we will all know for sure.

Old 01-24-2001, 10:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Gabe...finally checked your site out. I have gotta know...who's the ugly guy? On a serious note, are you still runnin stock shocks on your EX? 2 words...SERIOUS AIR!. Also, definately go with the 400 SBC over the 350 SBC. I've built a couple of 400's and when set-up correct are very strong. Later.

Trending Topics

Old 01-24-2001, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Now you've gone and hurt my feelings

Many of those pics were taken with stock shocks, some with my TCS's. I really wish I had some pics from our last trip to the dunes, had some really good ones - all the pics were taken with the engine stock...

Anyway, yes, I have 2 400 SBC's one's going in my truck (or the newer extended cab I may purchase) and the other's going into the Vette. They'll both be port fuel injected, the Vette will have my Electromotive setup with DIS (distributorless ignition) and the truck will probably use the Corvette/Camaro TPI setup. I'd like to find a late model LT1 for the truck, but people generally want too much money for them, so the tuned port will do (bang for the buck).

Old 01-24-2001, 01:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

With my previous 400ex, I could'nt get over 7-8' of air before bottomming the fronts. Must be the weight difference. At 220 pounds, I've probably got at least 20-25 pounds on you though.
The SBC 400 along the the TPI should make a good street engine(s). I found the 400's like (at least) a high volume oil pump, a very good cooling system, and need the block magnafluxed to check for cracks between the steam holes in the deck to name a few. The older TPI's were prone to cracking under the manifold, so check it out before giving up the green stuff! Almost forgot this is an ATV forum...later.

Old 01-24-2001, 02:33 PM
Range Rover

Gabe
At the current time my quad is at LRD, so I will be unable to measure it.... when I get it back I will, or next time I am up there... Thank you for the offer...

Ewil
Do you have any pics of your quad with the longer swingarm? I really I dying to see one. I will let you know the next time I head to LRD ( normally on a fri, I was just up there last week) and maybe I could swing in and check it out If you do go riding let me know what you think. I am dying to get mine back... Hopefully not to much longer.....

Quick Reply: Raptor Length with +4 swing arm.... vrs 250r..