Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Chance to purchase a 2000 Yamaha Wolverine for cheap

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chance to purchase a 2000 Yamaha Wolverine for cheap

Hello everyone,

I'm at the point where I can purchase a used machine, and hopefully get my new Brute Force next year.

Anyway, I have an opportunity to purchase a 2000 Yamaha Wolverine for $1,600, but he may be willing to take $1,100 cash for it. The ATV has been sitting for a year and it needs a tune-up and battery. He said other than that, its great. It still has the original tires, and it comes with a plow. The plastic is solid with no cracks, just some scratches and the seat has a small rip.

Can you tell me if this is a good deal? Also, what should I look out for on this machine? I used to own a Warrior and from what I heard, the engines are very similar.

Thank you for your input.

Pete

Old 06-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With it sitting for a year, I would change the diff fluids and regrease all the wheel bearings, the steering rack, and primary clutch. With it used for plowing you probably have corrosion from moisture. Check for excessive play in the steering. With the handle bars straight, do the wheels point straight?.

Take a straight edge or carpenters bubble level and check the wheels for vertical alignment. If off, it could mean a crash and spindle or axle damage.

Pull the airbox lid and intake snorkle. Check for mice. Yes, they like living in there, and squirrels like hiding nuts in there.

Plan on tearing down the carb and cleaning it and you may have to replace the carb jets if plugged with gunk.

Plan on cleaning / replacing brakes. Clean with brake parts cleaner.

If the machine does idle ok, run some SeaFoam through it. Just follow the directions on the can.

That's all I can think of, besides be careful til you are experienced with it , and wear a helmet.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Banned

Thank you for your reply HeftyLefty.

If I buy it, I'm going to go through the entire bike, by cleaning the carb, changing the oil/filter, fuel filter, air filter, new battery, differential fluid and greasing the wheel bearings and other areas of the machine where it needs it.

I haven't looked at the machine yet, but I will be sure to look at the alignment. He said it doesn't start because it was sitting for a long period of time, but the price will go up if he needs to work on it at all. I used to be a mechanic so I will have this machine up and running in no time.

He has new brakes to go in the rear, and I will buy new brakes for the front, along with another seat cover.

And I always wear a helmet. I've been riding since I was 8 years old..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Old 06-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a good deal. Wolverines are pretty bulletproof and make tight, difficult trails a blast. They are simple, reliable machines that get it done. I have no intention of getting rid of mine, not until Yamaha (or someone else) makes a worthy replacement anyway. Even then I'll probably keep it as a second machine.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

I did the same thing as you are contemplating. They are a great machine, and easy enough to work on, but there ended up being more issues with mine thatn I had anticipated on, keep in mind that there coule be issues that sneak up on you while fixing others.

quick pick from mid progress:
Name:  DSC02309.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  86.1 KB

My list to date is something like this:

new rear axle/hub, exhaust, intake, rebuilt carb, new seals for both sides of the axle, replaced all seals and bearings in the front differential and spindles, new rear rotor and caliper, new pads all around, rebuilt all 3 calipers, rewired the winch after relocating it behind the bumper, skid plate, A-arm guards, bit of repainting, and lots of cleaning.

All that is left is a valve adjustment in a few weeks along with high compression Wiseco and clutch kit.

It actually isn't even done yet. I should be getting 0-rings this afternoon so that I can put the front hubs back on. As you can imagine, I did NOT plan on that much work...

Old 06-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Banned

WOW,

You have done a lot of work to your machine. I just want something fairly cheap because my plans are to purchase a new Brute Force by either this fall or early next year. I can get a new one for about 1,400 off the suggested price, so I may even pass on this machine and just wait it out.

Good luck on your machine.

Pete

Old 06-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, as much as I hate to, I would advise you to be very cautious in your purchase, these things can add up fast. It was rewarding as anything today to pull it out and take a quick spin with it done, but soooo much time/money/work/aggravation...

Good luck with your decision.