Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizz Mud Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grizz Mud Tires

I'm about to get some mud tires for my grizzly 660 and I have a few questions for anyone that has them.

First what kind do you have and how do you like them. I'm looking at the Mudzillas, Interco Vampires, Kenda K538 Executioner, and of course the ever popular ITP mud lites.

Second did anyone put the 12'' all the way around I see alot of diffent combo's 10 front 12 back or 12 and 12 I was just wondering how the 12's all the way around drove on the trails.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizz Mud Tires

I only have had personal experience with Mudlites, they are NOT comparable to the others in the mud. However they are by no means bad in the mud, much better than stockers, and have a smoother ride on trails. Keep in mind everywhere that I have read says the Executioners run short, Vampires the front skinny tires run short while the rears run true. Vampires will be the best at climbing out of a mud hole, if there is a steep bank exiting the mudhole. Another tire to consider, if you want something good in mud but a smooth ride on trails, would be the STU Mud Machines Bi-Claws and Tri-Claws. Biggest size is 27" however ppl say they run true to size, possibly even a tad over.

Mudzillas are supposed to wear very well, very tough compound with excellent wear characteristics. I believe(not sure) that they run true to size as well.

I don't know personally how well 12" in front would handle on trails, but logically they would be harder to steer, put more strain and wear on your front end components, and not handle quite as nimbly as the skinnier(10") front tires. That said, wider would equal more traction, and better flotation in the mud/water. And wider front tires do look quite gnarly.

-Krait

Old 06-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grizz Mud Tires

Thanks for the reply, good stuff it will help in my decision but one question whats "true to size" you made reference to it a couple of time and im just not familar with the term.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Grizz Mud Tires

Yeah sorry, 'true to size' is a term used to say whether a tire is actually the size it says it is. For example, a tire that is 26x12x12, first # is tire diameter in inches, second is tire width in inches, and last is rim diameter in inches. So if a tire runs true to size, and is rated a 26" tire, then it will actually be 26". However there seem to be plenty of tires that don't actually measure their stated sizes, at least with the recommended air pressures. So if a tire doesn't run true to size, if it says its a 26", it may actually be 25.5" in diameter. I have read of 27x10x12 Vampires measuring closer to 25". However the 27x12x12 seem to measure a true 27". 27x12x12 Executioners seem to run short from what I have read as well. Actually being closer to 25". Check out Highlifter forums, lots of good tire info.

Hope this helps, by no means does it mean any tire is bad, just something to consider. Also its hard to say if any tire is true to size or not, I am sure some other ppl with chime in and help you out as well.

-Krait

Old 06-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Grizz Mud Tires

you can run ?x12x12 all the way around no problem with a lift. outlaws or swamplites are great i love them, i have both, 28x12.5x12 outlaws on a 03 big bear 400 stock, and 28x12x12 swamplites on a 08 bigbear 400 irs, outlaws are rough going slow and are aggressive be careful too much thumb and things break with a 660, but are great. swamplites are not as aggressive as outlaws but are as good or even better, they clean good and are smooth any time.