Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

UPDATE-Bad situation for my Kodiak 450

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE-Bad situation for my Kodiak 450

I was out driving last weekend and going through some really high weeds and brush. I was standing up to look over the stuff and probably going a little faster than was prudent.

I didn't see the 20" dia Elm tree lying down and struck it with the right front suspension. I got tossed about 15 feet and the machine rolled on it's side. I luckily came out with only a couple of bruises but my quad didn't fare so well.

The right rim is done, the lower control arm is done and the steering rod is toast. But here's the really bad part. My dealer says the frame is a little bent and that they don't straighten well.

I only have insurance for fire and theft and the total bill to repair the front end and replace the frame is $3000.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I'm trying to decide on my options since the machine is mint with only has 400 miles on it and nothing cosmetic was damaged. I also have quite a few accessories on this machine as well.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad situation for my Kodiak 450

How bad is 'a little bent'?. Can it be ridden and steered safely with only the tires wearing out?. Keep in mind your dealer wants you to spend money, that's how he eats. I'm not advocating driving it if doing so risks your life, but if you can ride it until you save the money to replace the frame, I say fix it and ride.

After all, the dealer may want to replace the frame rather than deal with the hassle of trying to straighten it. Or, he may not have the know how or equipment to straighten it.

I would take it around to other dealers, bike shops, body shops, etc, for a second opinion before I make up my mind. It could be that one of them has the experience and the equipment to fix it with minimal effort.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

To me the frame being out of whack was almost impossible to see. The only way you could tell is that the plastic skid plate on the bottom was a little warped and they said that's one sign that it's bent.

Besides the costs involved, the new frame would have to have our public insurance company list a new serial number for the machine. And no I don't have collision insurance, only fire and theft.

So I was thinking exactly the same thing, that I would get the front end fixed and then worry about the frame later, when I have the time and/or money to take care of this issue. The frame alone from Yamaha was quoted to me at $1400. I don't have a problem tackling the job myself later on.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear...

Sounds like it is still ride-able... as Hefty has said... you might get pre-mature tire wear, tie-rod wear or ball joint wear but hey.. it isn't a car where precise alignment is needed and for the most part you aren't rocking out doing 50mph everywhere...

I smacked my brother inlaws rancher 300 2wd atv into a tree doing about 30mph a few years back and hit the right front tire/suspenion as well... needed some new tie-rods and a new rim...but good enough to ride... and yes the frame was bent.. it still drove straight enough!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Be careful. What ever you do don't leave it around where it might get stolen. Then what would you do?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Traildad

Be careful. What ever you do don't leave it around where it might get stolen. Then what would you do?[img][/img]</end quote></div>

The thought has crossed my mind but I'm a little too honest to force a situation like that. Especially since the dealer already knows it's damaged and the insurance company would be sure to ask.

Somehow I will get it fixed. I like the machine too much to just walk away from it.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

If your insurance catches wind of a bent frame they wont insure it. I have not seen the damage but you say it's not noticeable, in most cases your frame will not castistrophically fail for no reason with normal riding, so I would not worry about the structural integrity of it. I would however be worried if you were constantly jumping it, which is not in the nature of a Kodiak so go ride it.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

I'd still try to get some other quotes/opinions from other dealers/shops and see if the price changes, never hurts. Maybe a steel/welding/machine shop can do something about it.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer

are you in ontario canada?

i invent stuff , as well as do alot of repairs on other stuff , maby i can straiten your frame for you? or build you what you need?

not sure, but i have a weilder , and time on my hands at night.

or sence your dealer knows of the break , but dose he no your insurance company? or did you tell your insurance company?

what i think i would lean towards doing lol , would be to take the bike someplace other than home , and hide it well , not let any1 no where you stored it , and report it as stolden , that way when you get your insurance to cover it you got parts left.

but i would be careful not to keep anything around your house for a while , espesily with a Sir # on it from your old bike.

, or if you wana try to straiten it out yourself , making a bender is fairly easy and low cost.

just take 2 pieces of heavy angle iron drill holes in them about 1/4" from the bottom of each pl8 to leave room for your parts. and put grade 8 bolts in them and use a wrench to titen with the frame pieces in it , it should straiten anything you got bent.

maby that help?

chris

Old 07-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

Well you can order the frame from BIKEBANDIT.COM FOR $645.82 And the rear sub frame for $311.17 and bike bandit is 100% trustable they are great people to deal with.The lower arm is $44.74 GREAT PRICES CHEAP SHIPPING TOO.. CHECK EM OUT AND GOOD LUCK!!!

Quick Reply: UPDATE-Bad situation for my Kodiak 450