Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need Help with Yamaha 350 Bigbear

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Yamaha 350 Bigbear

Hello all , Im stuck and need a little Help with How to change the UJOINTS between the Front of the Engine and The Front Diferatual Case .

I dont no how to get the shaft out , to be able to change the Joints , and I dont wana bang the Old joints To hard while still on the Engine due to Chancing to break the Case on the Engine side [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Is thier some Typ of Puller for Ujoints for this?

Or HOw would One Remove the Shaft to change the Ujoints ?

Im a Engine Mac (engines Only, for racing apps), but I Never done Ujoints on a bike Before.

Anyhelp would be good , as i dont wish to break my engine getting them apart.

chris

Old 07-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer

A buddy of mine had to drop the dif on his Popo 600 to get the shaf out of his.Don't know if the bear is the same haven't had to work on mine yet

Old 07-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

i just changed my joint closest to the motor last weekend. it was very easy. took a little time, but i was going slow. first off, get the moose U Joints, Denniskirk.com has them for 18 bucks each. then go to walmart and get a can of the Yellow Lid PB Blaster penetrating spray. my joint closest to the engine was squeaking so i kept a can of this lube in the rear light compartment so when it squeaked, i sprayed it. id give that entire shaft a strong coating. u joints and all. id cover it with ALOT for 2 days. my old joint came out with a hammer and cheap socket extension. the top joint near the diff would be a pain. i will look at my service manual and see if there is any tips on doing the one near the front diff.

just remember that while you have the quad sitting on the rear rack, that is 600 pounds your working with and it will kill your *** if it falls on you.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer

thx .

um i had it fall on me already when i was changing the rear axle , i was sitting under it and was on a rope 3 ft off ground and landed on my legs , yah it hurt a bit. :\ o well , i no better next time lol.

ok i managed to get my ujoints changed. After Dreadfull Hours of Trying Difrent stuff , and the fear of Pounding with a hammer on the ujoints , due to alluninum housings at each end of front shafts, i have came up with a idea , and i had them old joints out , booth of them in 15 mins , and new ones in in 45 mins total [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] After i made my tool idea :

What i did was take a old larger C Clamp , one that had Fine Machine thread for strength , and i took a peice of pipe that fits over the ujoint ***** , and cut off 3/4" of pipe , and weilded it to the bace part of the C Clamp
on the screw part of the C Clamp , I removed the Cup Washer , and Just used the Little Ball at end Of Screw/Bolt , I found That it would Work better than with the cup as my Ujoints had a Centre Dent in them as most U Joints Do , so it keeps It Inline [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and i fixed the top of c clamp screw/bolt with a nut as well as the T handle.

Anyway to make a long story Short , a C Clamp only costs about $8 and It only took me 20 Mins To make it . And i Did not have to Over Weild it , But i did Anyway Using 7014 Arc Weilding Rod at 120 Tempature Setting.

I figured idd post my results here as now its a breeze to change them joints [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
And i believe this idea would work on all bikes ..

i may take picture of my design and post it on forums , if i get good replys on it.

chris

thx for the input

Old 07-27-2008, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

submit that tool for a patent. you might get rich off of your idea.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer

how you do that?

ive made many tools and things that work , and i never could figure out how to get stuff patnented , w/out costing thousands of dollors that i dont have .. :\

any ideas?

Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Pro Rider

use google to search about invention submitting or something like that.