Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak 450 transmission engagement

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 450 transmission engagement

I've noticed my 03 kodiak won't go in gear all the time until I give it some gas... sometimes it works but most of the time it dosen't. It isn't limited to any one gear, L, H, R, and even P are affected (P won't engage until I rock the bike). I usually feather the throttle a little just to get it in gear before taking off but it dosen't seem right for it to be that way. Is there something else that could cause the problem besides the shift linkage which I have already played with. I did read a test ride online somewhere of a newer IRS 450 and their only complaint was that the new machine was doing the exact same thing. Any thoughts?

Old 08-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what you've done to adjust the linkage, but the simple way to fix it right is to disconnect the linkage at the transmission, with the switch OFF turn the key ON. Move the tranny shifter until the Neutral indicator lights up. Gently rock the bike to verify it's in Neutral. Turn the key off.

Move the fender gear selector to Neutral, adjust the linkage between the two-while your at it clean and lube the linkage-to remove slack and reconnect. Check all shifter positions for solid engagement by rocking the bike.

if you've done all this, my apologies. The only things left are bent-worn linkage, or shifter fork in transmission is worn.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what you've done to adjust the linkage, but the simple way to fix it right is to disconnect the linkage at the transmission, with the switch OFF turn the key ON. Move the tranny shifter until the Neutral indicator lights up. Gently rock the bike to verify it's in Neutral. Turn the key off.

Move the fender gear selector to Neutral, adjust the linkage between the two-while your at it clean and lube the linkage-to remove slack and reconnect. Check all shifter positions for solid engagement by rocking the bike.

if you've done all this, my apologies. The only things left are bent-worn linkage, or shifter fork in transmission is worn.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Well I have two 05 kodiak 450s and they both do it. I always assumed that it was necessary to get things spinning a little so it could kick into gear.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

My wolverine 450 does it too

Old 08-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

So I guess it's safe to say this is normal....

Old 08-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

This just means that the idle is low. By default, they should slip right in, but at that point the idle is high enough so that sometimes it really kicks in hard. My Kodiak 400 came that way, and I backed the idle down a hair and now simply tap the throttle a bit and it slides into gear smoothly. Everybody else I know that has an automatic Yamaha has done this as well, including a friend who just bought a brand-new 350 Griz.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: EastCoastWest

I've noticed my 03 kodiak won't go in gear all the time until I give it some gas... sometimes it works but most of the time it dosen't. It isn't limited to any one gear, L, H, R, and even P are affected (P won't engage until I rock the bike). I usually feather the throttle a little just to get it in gear before taking off but it dosen't seem right for it to be that way. Is there something else that could cause the problem besides the shift linkage which I have already played with. I did read a test ride online somewhere of a newer IRS 450 and their only complaint was that the new machine was doing the exact same thing. Any thoughts?</end quote></div>

Mine goes into all gears smoothly except Low.. I generally have to put it in, then give the throttle a "bump" to seat it...

I do like Hefty-Lefty's procedure! I am going to give it a try this week [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (even though my quad was just in for service... figure they would have checked/adjusted it.... Doh!)

Old 08-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

My '07 goes into gear as smooth as silk. Low and park sometimes require a little rock of the machine to ensure it's in, but otherwise it's perfect.

I do know that if the idle is too high they will kick into gear more abruptly, but it should go into gear with little effort.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Oops! Double tap of the "post" button![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Kodiak 450 transmission engagement