Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Slow Oil Drain

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Oil Drain

As the topic states, my Kodiak 400 4x2 has developed a VERY slow oil-drain from the head to the crank and it has me concerned. A year ago it would drain normally, and after riding I could get a good reading about 20~30min after turning it off. Now however, I check it in the morning and it has a full reading, but after riding for short or long rides, it reads empty until it sits overnight.

I am approaching an oil-change and am debating a basic flush. We do this on BMWs using kerosene and turning the engine over with the plugs removed and fuel-pump off. The kerosene breaks up all kinds of sludge and such, and it all drains out smoothly. Could I safely drain my old oil, put in a quart, and pull the recoil-starter with the key off to circulate it and then drain it thoroughly?

I asked about the kerosene because I believe I have a clogged tub or something, and it would immediately clear the clog without damaging anything. This way, I don't have to disassemble the engine to clan a simple clog. If there is something in the oil-system that the kerosene might damage, please let me know.

I'd also like to know if riding is advised while like this. Part of me says that it would be bad because the crank wouldn't be lubricated if the oil isn't circulating, but another part of me says that the pump should be forcing the oil through the engine. Advise?

Old 08-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Slow Oil Drain

if it were my problem, i would run the motor till it is warmed up. that way the oil is thinned out. then i would pour half a quart of kerosene in it, start it and let it run about 30 seconds then drain it. see if that helps. if your skeptical about letting the motor run with the mix, go to the auto parts store and buy one of those flushes made to run with motor oil prior to changing it. i WOULD NOT do this if you have a wet clutch. that might open up an entire can of new worms.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Slow Oil Drain

I have no problem with that. I've run straight kerosene in my 1987 TRX125 in the past twice, but only for a moment, and it never caused any damage, so mixing it doesn't concern me in the least. I just wanted to see if the problem sounds like a clogged return path or something before I wasted money on a flush.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Slow Oil Drain

that is what i am thinking it is. i work in an auto service garage and i see that problem all the time. flushing the motor out usually takes care of the problem.