Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine in the Snow ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2001, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When riding the Wolverine in the snow do both front tires get torque when needed? Also, my 400ex really won't go over 8" of fresh snow because of the low clearance at the swingarm. How many inches of fresh snow can a Wolverine go through? I want to get another quad, 4wd, but would like it light like the Wolverine. Your experience is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2001, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

I have had a blast with my wolverine in the snow, however, I don't think I've been able to get through much deeper "fresh" snow than 10". The stock wolverine tires are only 23", and as I'm sure you can attest to, once the frame is bottomed out your stuck, 4wd or not. You could get better performance in the snow with taller aftermarket tires - but from what I've read you should go to an aftermarket exhaust & rejet to get the same bottom end.

I'm curious, If you already have a fine sport quad (400ex) why not just buy a straight big bore utility quad to satisfy your 4wd needs? Don't get me wrong, I think the wolverine is a great "sport utility" but it's a compromise. Granted for people like me that want to play mostly, yet still be able to do some work and can only afford one quad, it's the ticket. But, If I could afford to buy 2 atv's the wolverine would not be one of them.

To answer your other post I don't believe Yamaha has any plans to bump up the wolverine to 400cc's.

Old 01-28-2001, 11:45 PM
Range Rover

Hello Jeff...well you left alot of info out of your questions..IE stock tires,wet snow or dry...I'd guess wet because you live in MI ...stock tires on a Wolverine aren't much good in snow but they will chew there way through about eight inches to a foot but it's slow going...all quads can go through as much snow as the skid plates height off the ground dictates...Concerning the front end...the tire with the least amout of traction gets all the power...one thing I'm going to do to mine is remover the rear brake from the handle bars and install another front break system there...then hook each front wheel to it's own brake lever...that way when I get in a spot were I'm off camber and the one front tire thats in the air starts spinning I can grab that brake and force the power over to the one that has traction...Hope that helps somewhat..
BB

Old 01-28-2001, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the comments.

Old 01-30-2001, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

So your saying that if you apply your front brakes when your not getting any traction from the tire you'd like to have spinning it will change the free spinining tire to the opposite tire? Hmmm, I'll have to try that next time I'm stuck in the mud or snow..

Old 01-30-2001, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The brake idea will work but you will need to do some custom fabrication witht he brake lines and have two seperate front brake levers, one for each wheel. This way if the right tire is spinning an the left is resting on some traction you hit the right front brake to lock the wheel and the differential will send power over to the left wheel. Hardcore guys with 4x4 trucks sometimes rig up systems like this on their rear axles using the e-brake.

jefffoxsr,
I wouldn't get rid of you 400EX for a Wolverine because the Yamaha is full time fourwheel drive and soooo boring in the snow. You can't spin brodies, slide or wheelie very well on a Wolverine. I know, I used to have a '96 Wolverine and sold it because it wasn't any fun. It went through deep, unpacked snow better than any sport quad but that was because it was a four wheel drive. You might look at putting taller and wider tires on the back of the 400ex to gain some more ground clearence. If you want to ride and explore in the snow then the Wolverine is ideal, if you want to have fun the keep the 400EX. Hate to say it but the Polaris quads like the Scrambler kick butt in the snow and can spin brodies because you can switch them in and out of 4 wheel drive. But they are big and cumbersome and will feel like a tank compared to your 400ex.

Old 01-31-2001, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

I live in the mountains up in Pennsylvania and I had my 1995 in fresh snow up to 1 1/2 ft.. but after that its worthless

Old 02-01-2001, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

First of all, what's a Broadie? Wasn't that one of the guys names in Point Break?

And second of all, if you can't get a Wolverine to slide in the snow, you need to try pushing the little lever on the right handlebar.

Old 02-01-2001, 08:18 AM
Range Rover

Hello Sly...yes all you do is tap the front brake lever enough to stop that free wheel from spinning and it transfers the power to the one with all the traction...
BB

Old 02-01-2001, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A brodie is a really hot guy. LOL Actually it is the same as spinning a donut or cookie. Newfibullet, it is becoming apparent that you have never ridden a sport quad because then you would know what it feels like to slide. The Wolverine's 4x4 crab walk style does not consitute sliding. Maybe for you, perhaps.

Quick Reply: Wolverine in the Snow ?