Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 550 FI EPS and Rhino 700 FI win 'Best of the Best' awards

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grizzly 550 FI EPS and Rhino 700 FI win 'Best of the Best' awards

Why does everybody have to argue over who makes the best atv?. Go ride them all, and buy the one that works best for YOU. Be grateful you have so many choices, some in other countries of the world don't.

As for the rest, let it go. All have shortcomings, none are perfect.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"1. The 700 is nothing more than a 660 with a bigger bore, fuel injection, one less valve and a missing pull starter. To call it "new" is to do a disservice to the word new. EVERYTING ELSE (with the exception of power steering and motor) IS THE SAME AS THE OLD 660. "

Thats funny.. different frame. different motor, power steering, fuel injection...what exactly do you need to call it new in in your book?

I'm unsubscribing to this thread........no point arguing w/ you.

Go ride what you want, read what you want, have fun doing it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

A guy I've ridden with had both a 2006 Sportsman 800 and a 2007 Grizzly 700 (He rolled the Sportsman end over end down a 1/4 mile of hill) with the power steering. I picked his brain about it and he loves the power steering. His comment was less fatigue. He missed the raw power of the Sportsman and its plush ride. Otherwise he didn't really see much difference. This is his opinion, not mine. I wouldn't ride the Grizzly because I was afraid that I would like the power steering too much and don't have the money for a new quad right now.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:07 AM
Trailblazer

I write for magazines....I do ride and technical reviews and test ride for shootouts at times. I have never once had a senior editor or anyone for that matter, tell me which quad should win, which quad I should like over another, or who was giving more in advertising that month to try to sway my opinon in any way. As a matter of fact, I did a review on the Grizzly 550, and I am not surprised at all by Field and Stream's choice. I think the 550 is an amazing machine - and there are more things to judge a quad on than just suspension and cc's. Reliability, engine braking, how the CVT functions, EPS (is AWESOME!), overall comfort, ease of use, 4X4 systems and how well they perform - these are just a few things I try to pay attention to, as do my fellow editors. Shootouts are not won by advertising dollars - at least I have not experienced that in the 3+ years I have been writing in the ATV industry. Just my .02.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

No, of course they wouldn't. It isn't until the magazines go to print that the editors decide who wins.

My question still remains: "Did you test the 550 Polaris, too?" If not, why not?

Another question is: "How do you test reliability in the short time you have it?" If your answer is, "Well, we just know that brand XYZ has had reliability problems in the past", that just doesn't cut it anymore in the industry.

And what is with the hatred you people in the magazine industry have for single lever braking? Now I'm not saying that single lever braking is the best, but you people absoluely desipse it except when it comes to UTVs where it's perfectly acceptable. Please, enlighten us peons as to why single point braking is acceptable on a Polaris RZR and not a Polaris 850XP. I'd love to hear this explaination.

I will agree that EPS is awesome, especially in it's function as a steering dampener as speed increases. Plus you have the added benefit of the power steering at low speed. It would be interesting to see a test of the power steering of different companies, done by one of us unbiased peons, of course

Old 09-03-2008, 10:58 AM
BTI
Trailblazer

The eps used on the Yamaha is built by KYB
I would look for the others to use the same system, especially the other Japanese manufacturers.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:38 PM
tdi
Weekend Warrior

I had a chance to drive the Polaris Sportsman 500, 550 XP without power steering and the 550 Yamaha Grizzly with power steering at a sports show a couple weeks ago. This was on a closed course with a couple small hills, rocks and some logs partially buried in the dirt for bumps. Top speeds were probably not more than 15 or 20 mph so this wasn't a high speed run.

The Polaris rep told us that the XP without power steering steered easier than the Grizz with power steering. He also told us that the drivetrain on the Polaris was quiet without the noise that the old Sportsmans had. He was wrong on both counts. The Grizzly steered much easier than the XP. The XP also had the typical Polaris clanks and clunks in the driveline when on and off the gas. The driveline on the Grizzly was silent by comparison. I couldn't make it make any of the annoying noises like I could on the Polaris.

The Polaris XP did steer easier than the old Sportsman and I thought the ride was comparable. One of the guys I was with who has a Sportsman thought the ride on the XP was better. The ride of both of the old Sportsman and the XP was smoother than the Grizzly.

I asked the Yamaha rep to soften the suspension on the rear of the Grizzly. The springs were set on the 3rd out of I think 5 settings on the Grizzly and the softest setting on both of the Polaris ATVs. They weren't willing to make any changes, which is unfortunate, because maybe the Grizzly would have rode better on a softer setting.

Mechanically I was disappointed to see that Polaris uses U joints on the drive shafts between the transmission and the front and rear axles. When looking at the Grizzly or even at my old 03 Rincon they are designed so that the transmission output shafts line up with the axles. My Rincon uses one CV joint going to the front drive and the rear lines up. Maybe not a big deal, but you would think with Polaris starting with a clean sheet of paper they could have gotten things to line up without the U Joints.

If I could get the driveline and power steering out of the Grizzly and the ride of the Polaris it would be perfect for me. If I had to give something up, I guess I end up on the Polaris XP with the power steering and putting up with the noisy drivetrain for the sake of the ride. I know when I put my wife on it for a day, she is going to want the soft ride and the power steering.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

OOOOK here's my 2 cent's I for one think the 550 grizz is overpriced so there's a big let down off the start to me why buy it when you can get the 700 Grizz for a few hundred more?WTF is yamaha thinking? need's to be dropped in price >atleast 500 dollar's before it wins anything!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MC Ballpeen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wildwest1011

The 700 came out in 06........hard to say its a tired and old design.

""But even the suspension, handling and drivetrain aren't up to par with it's competition. Not even close.""

Please tell me ONE quad that has the Grizzly beat in all the above aspects, I'd love to read the total BS that flows from your fingertips.

Your no better than Field & Stream in your own eyes...you have not ridden a 550XP or 850 XP, but you think it is the reinvented wheel because of its features and polaris advertising? Get real...The grizzly 700 is tested and has proved to win shootouts and best utility ATV from numerous magazines, riders and sales also back it up.</end quote></div>

1. The 700 is nothing more than a 660 with a bigger bore, fuel injection, one less valve and a missing pull starter. To call it "new" is to do a disservice to the word new. EVERYTING ELSE (with the exception of power steering and motor) IS THE SAME AS THE OLD 660.

2. Okay, the Polaris Sportsman 800 for one. Take your pick on what year, they're all the same. The handling and ride quality on the Sportsman is what others aspire to. While it still uses struts in the front the ride is plush. The rear suspension IS the best (yes even over my Can Am) in the business. The drive train? Polaris invented the belt driven ATV. If it wasn't for them and their popularity, you'd still be shifting gears on a quad. Their 4 wd is one of the best in the business. While their down hill manners may leave a lot to be desired in the non ADC models they have fixed that in recent years.

The Can Am Outlander for another. Suffice to say, it not only has power, but handling to match. The suspension is fine for slow trail riding yet sporty enough for the serious racer. Look at the top standings in the GNCC 4x4 limited class if you don't believe me. That's the 4X4 LIMITED CLASS where almost no suspension modification is allowed. Yep, these Outlander are really poor handling machines for them to win the 2008 championship GNCC 4x4 limited class NINE RACES INTO A 13 RACE SEASON.

3. I am better than Field and Stream in the fact that I want them to test ALL quads in that catagory. If the Grizzly 550 is the best, then it's the best. If another is the best then they should tell everyone. Don't just pick one machine and proclaim it to "be the best" if they haven't earned that title through a shootout. Most magazines are very fickle. The newest quad is usually proclaimed the best. For 2005 it was the Kawasaki 750 Brute Force. For 2006 it was the Bombardier Outlander 800. For 2007 it was the yamaha 700 Grizzly EPS. For 2008 there was a bit of a quandry. The only real change from 2007 was the Brute Force from carbs to EFI. It one one shootout and the Griz won another. The Thundercat had serious handling problems as opposed to the others in the tests. This is the one instance where the magazines broke the cycle of the newest machines winning all the tests. I have no reason to doubt that in 2009 it will be the Polaris 850 XP with power steering. Do you want to make a bet on it?</end quote></div>

1. It's totally redesigned it's a totally different ATV. THINK before you speak.

2. Grizzlys suspension is way better. It's transmission is more reliable and much less likley to break because it is constant tension. All the major testers realize this. Yamaha won ATV of the year for the Grizz in 07 and 08 and it's still on top. All the top magazines and testers agree. This can not be denied. It's tested and proven. Polaris needs more repairs than any other ATV manufactor in existance. Get your facts straight.

3. The new Polaris 850 has some amazing features but come on man. It's got to much wiring and electrical systems and to much **** that can go wrong. It's *****ing 786 pounds. That's 186 more pounds it has to muscle over stumps and boulders so even if it's engine is way more powerful (and it is) it's still got all that weight. It's fraction of a ground clearance difference won't make any difference because it's so heavy it will sink much deeper in the mud and need much more power to get out. The Grizzlys diff lock is better. It's engine braking is better. It's transmission is WAY more durable. It's lighter and more agile and manuvours better. Grizzly is cheaper, more reliable, last longer, lighter, and handles better. Stop denying this. You can ride what you want to ride but the Grizzly is a better overall machine.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Trailblazer

Plus Grizzly has wide a-arc a arms providing more usable ground clearance.

Quick Reply: Grizzly 550 FI EPS and Rhino 700 FI win 'Best of the Best' awards