Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 550 FI EPS and Rhino 700 FI win 'Best of the Best' awards

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 550 FI EPS and Rhino 700 FI win 'Best of the Best' awards

That is a true point polaris doe sover do there atv's 100 more wires 300 more moving part's waiting to break maybe one day they will go simple and still have a great atv with all the bells and whistle's.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Yes everyone knows about Polaris's wiring issues but to say they don't have all the bells and whistles (features/accessories) is wrong Can't think of one 4x4 atv that has more storage or accessories avilabile for it other than a Sportsman!

Old 09-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Destruction101

1. It's totally redesigned it's a totally different ATV. THINK before you speak.

2. Grizzlys suspension is way better. It's transmission is more reliable and much less likley to break because it is constant tension. All the major testers realize this. Yamaha won ATV of the year for the Grizz in 07 and 08 and it's still on top. All the top magazines and testers agree. This can not be denied. It's tested and proven. Polaris needs more repairs than any other ATV manufactor in existance. Get your facts straight.

3. The new Polaris 850 has some amazing features but come on man. It's got to much wiring and electrical systems and to much **** that can go wrong. It's *****ing 786 pounds. That's 186 more pounds it has to muscle over stumps and boulders so even if it's engine is way more powerful (and it is) it's still got all that weight. It's fraction of a ground clearance difference won't make any difference because it's so heavy it will sink much deeper in the mud and need much more power to get out. The Grizzlys diff lock is better. It's engine braking is better. It's transmission is WAY more durable. It's lighter and more agile and manuvours better. Grizzly is cheaper, more reliable, last longer, lighter, and handles better. Stop denying this. You can ride what you want to ride but the Grizzly is a better overall machine.</end quote></div>

1. While I would consider the Grizzly 600 and the Grizzly 660 completely different machines, I wouldn't consider the 660 that much different from the 700. Just because you add a larger bore to the 660, fuel injection and arched a-arms doesn't make it a different machine in any reasonable persons book. That would be like saying that the 550 Grizzly is a completely new and different machine from the 700, when the only thing they changed from the 700 to the 550 is the bore size, and the throttle body diameter. WOW THAT WOULD MAKE IT A COMPLETELY NEW MACHINE, right?

2. I suppose that would depend on how you define "way better"suspension. Is it the most plush? No. Is there more of it? No. Is it sportier? No. Does it at least do one thing better than any other make out there? No, unless you condsider the steering to be part of the suspension (which I don't).

As far as the drive belt is concerned, try taking a belt off and putting it on the Grizzly WITHOUT taking the clutches off completely. Fun, Huh? So much for constant tension. Also you have to consider one more thing, the centrifugal clutch. The one between the crankshaft and the belt drive. It's just one more thing to go wrong. As Murphy once said, if something can go wrong it will go wrong and usually at the worst possible time. There are a lot of advantages to the centrifugal clutch, but as far as it being the best? I don't think so. Suzuki uses almost the exact same set up as yamaha does. The real question should be what do they use on 150hp+ snowmobiles? If a snowmobile that weighs just as much but makes a LOT more horsepower uses the same system, I'd be sold on it.

3. Again, define "too much wiring". Do you mean the wiring that goes to from the 4x4 switch / differential lock buttons? Oh yes that's Yamaha that does that, silly me.

As far as weight is concerned, that is a double edged sword. If a machine doesn't weigh enough, it will simply float in the mud and not get any traction at all. If it weighs slightly more, it might dig down and find traction. However it might get stuck deeper as well. Can you see a situation where extra weight might be needed? Towing perhaps?

Also consider the tires the Japanese put on their machines. Cheesy two ply tires that puncture at the first sight of the stick or rock, or the tough six ply tires that the American manufacturers use. Which would you think would weigh more? The wheels probably weigh more too. Stamped thin aluminum wheels that the Japanese use or the steel and cast aluminum wheels that the Americans use. You can begin to see where the weight comes from on American machines.

Yes, the diferential lock on the Grizzly is great....... if you plan on going in a straight line. Want to turn? Oops gotta stop and take it out of diferential lock mode, not to mention that it's only available in low range.

Frankly the only thing that the Grizzly does better than my quad is that it has power steering. THAT IS PRETTY MUCH IT. Since I don't spend too much of my time at low speed (where the power steering would really make a difference) power steering a moot point.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Come on FELLER'S let's AGREE to disagree and enjoy what we have what we have here is a old battle mine's better than your's we are all just LOYAL to our brand's to me there is no such thing as a BAD ATV THESE day's and time's. But I for one like my atv to be as simple as it can be and the power steering is just something else to break tear up short out or whatever if the day come's I get to weak or feable to turn the bar's ill have to hang up the sport. But anyway's GOOD RIDING TO YOU ALL AND ENJOY WHAT YA GOT....

Old 09-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, you're right about that. There are no bad ATVs, just bad ATV riders. Stay safe and wear protective gear!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 2FAST4URASS

Come on FELLER'S let's AGREE to disagree and enjoy what we have what we have here is a old battle mine's better than your's we are all just LOYAL to our brand's to me there is no such thing as a BAD ATV THESE day's and time's. But I for one like my atv to be as simple as it can be and the power steering is just something else to break tear up short out or whatever if the day come's I get to weak or feable to turn the bar's ill have to hang up the sport. But anyway's GOOD RIDING TO YOU ALL AND ENJOY WHAT YA GOT....</end quote></div>

Amen to that, but I do love my Ford vs. Chevy debacl's so so much that is why I own Dodge's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MC Ballpeen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Destruction101

1. It's totally redesigned it's a totally different ATV. THINK before you speak.

2. Grizzlys suspension is way better. It's transmission is more reliable and much less likley to break because it is constant tension. All the major testers realize this. Yamaha won ATV of the year for the Grizz in 07 and 08 and it's still on top. All the top magazines and testers agree. This can not be denied. It's tested and proven. Polaris needs more repairs than any other ATV manufactor in existance. Get your facts straight.

3. The new Polaris 850 has some amazing features but come on man. It's got to much wiring and electrical systems and to much **** that can go wrong. It's *****ing 786 pounds. That's 186 more pounds it has to muscle over stumps and boulders so even if it's engine is way more powerful (and it is) it's still got all that weight. It's fraction of a ground clearance difference won't make any difference because it's so heavy it will sink much deeper in the mud and need much more power to get out. The Grizzlys diff lock is better. It's engine braking is better. It's transmission is WAY more durable. It's lighter and more agile and manuvours better. Grizzly is cheaper, more reliable, last longer, lighter, and handles better. Stop denying this. You can ride what you want to ride but the Grizzly is a better overall machine.</end quote></div>

1. While I would consider the Grizzly 600 and the Grizzly 660 completely different machines, I wouldn't consider the 660 that much different from the 700. Just because you add a larger bore to the 660, fuel injection and arched a-arms doesn't make it a different machine in any reasonable persons book. That would be like saying that the 550 Grizzly is a completely new and different machine from the 700, when the only thing they changed from the 700 to the 550 is the bore size, and the throttle body diameter. WOW THAT WOULD MAKE IT A COMPLETELY NEW MACHINE, right?

2. I suppose that would depend on how you define "way better"suspension. Is it the most plush? No. Is there more of it? No. Is it sportier? No. Does it at least do one thing better than any other make out there? No, unless you condsider the steering to be part of the suspension (which I don't).

As far as the drive belt is concerned, try taking a belt off and putting it on the Grizzly WITHOUT taking the clutches off completely. Fun, Huh? So much for constant tension. Also you have to consider one more thing, the centrifugal clutch. The one between the crankshaft and the belt drive. It's just one more thing to go wrong. As Murphy once said, if something can go wrong it will go wrong and usually at the worst possible time. There are a lot of advantages to the centrifugal clutch, but as far as it being the best? I don't think so. Suzuki uses almost the exact same set up as yamaha does. The real question should be what do they use on 150hp+ snowmobiles? If a snowmobile that weighs just as much but makes a LOT more horsepower uses the same system, I'd be sold on it.

3. Again, define "too much wiring". Do you mean the wiring that goes to from the 4x4 switch / differential lock buttons? Oh yes that's Yamaha that does that, silly me.

As far as weight is concerned, that is a double edged sword. If a machine doesn't weigh enough, it will simply float in the mud and not get any traction at all. If it weighs slightly more, it might dig down and find traction. However it might get stuck deeper as well. Can you see a situation where extra weight might be needed? Towing perhaps?

Also consider the tires the Japanese put on their machines. Cheesy two ply tires that puncture at the first sight of the stick or rock, or the tough six ply tires that the American manufacturers use. Which would you think would weigh more? The wheels probably weigh more too. Stamped thin aluminum wheels that the Japanese use or the steel and cast aluminum wheels that the Americans use. You can begin to see where the weight comes from on American machines.

Yes, the diferential lock on the Grizzly is great....... if you plan on going in a straight line. Want to turn? Oops gotta stop and take it out of diferential lock mode, not to mention that it's only available in low range.

Frankly the only thing that the Grizzly does better than my quad is that it has power steering. THAT IS PRETTY MUCH IT. Since I don't spend too much of my time at low speed (where the power steering would really make a difference) power steering a moot point.</end quote></div>

1.Dude quite acting retarded the WHOLE machine is different. EVERYTHING. The dimensions the frame...EVERYTHING it may look alike but it's a COMPLETLEY different machine. It's far from being a Grizzly 660 with wide a arc and a bigger bore it's TOTALLY redesigned. THE ENTIRE MACHINE is different. God...I can't sum this up anymore. I don't know what you don't understand about the fact that's it's 100 percent different yamaha went to the blueprints and drawing boards and made a different machine. The did not use the 660 design, frame, measurements, it's TOTALLY different.

2.I think the Grizzlys suspension gives a more comfortable ride and almost every tester agrees. When I say the suspension is better I am refering to the 08 models. Not the resdesigned 09 Polaris Sportsman 850 and 550.

Dude I don't get what your getting at here. The Grizzlys belt is STRONGER, more durable and WILL last longer than the Polaris belt. End of story.

3. What do you mean define to much wiring? There's to much cheap *** wiring that is exposed and made cheaply. It has countless electricle problems all the time PROVEN over and OVER.

No dude untrue. A 600 pound machine with big lugs on it's tires will easily find traction. Yeah I see a situation where more weight would be useful. But it sacrafises turning raduis, agility, ease of use in the forest, mud and rock performance, handling, and the fact that it would be harder to flip it back over once you flip it over.

You talking about the Grizzlys stock tires? They provide good traction but mine has a flat yes. Big deal i'm putting spartacus tires on anyway. Also the wheels on the Grizzly compared to the 08 polaris are way more durable. Stop making things up.

Dude you should only need a lock when you want to go on a pretty straight path anyway plus it's NOT that hard to turn the wheels with EPS on diff lock. You CAN drive agressive on diff lock with EPS iv'e done it. Also once polaris diff locks because it needs more traction it's hrad to turn that machine to so stop making more **** up. It's the SAME thing with polaris. The only difference the machine decides for you when it needs it and you loose traction before you gain it.

Frankly it has proven to do EVERYTHING better except when it comes to engine power. That's it. Your so full of ****. Keep telling yourself what you want to believe. You won't accept the truth that's ok just keep your mouth shut about it.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Trailblazer

Polaris is an american made ATV manufacture and is the most popular but Grizzly is STILL the best selling utility quad. There is a reason why Grizzly got ATV of the year for 07 AND 08 AND ALL the testers and writers agree the Grizzly does everything better. EVERYONE disagrees with this kid I don't know why he's debating Sportsman vs Grizzly. He's comparing a machine that rarley ever has problems to one that has PROVEN to have tons of problems. I plenty of Polaris owners that have sold thier ATV's (sportsmans) because they broke down even though they were being taken care of nicley. Grizzly has proven to do everything better except match the engine power of Polaris and the amount of travel on the suspension.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer

Destruction 101,

You are the kind of jerkoff that if the magazines told you to ride with a stick up your *** while riding you'd do it because "It's what the magazines say to do". Are you really that STUPID to believe everything you read? The shootout I read in Quad magazine was so full of factual errors that I actually confronted the author of that article on another board. Funny how he had no reply to me when he couldn't back his facts up with what I know to be true. Here's what I wrote:

I finally got a chance to read the article when my QUAD magazine subscription came. I thought you guys were fair in some areas and WAY off base in others. For example, skid protection. There is no way in the world that Can Am is equal to the Yamaha and Suzuki in skid protection. The rack ergonomics were also off. The fact that YOU kept hitting your butt on the racks doesn't mean we all do. The fact that I removed my racks not withstanding ( I don't carry anything I can't carry in a back pack or in the storage compartment.), I never hit the racks when I had them on. I have the Renegade pegs on over top of the old Outlander pegs so I gain an inch on my 6'0" and still never came close to hitting them.

4x4 actuation on the Can Am a 3? You take your right thumb and toggle the button. On the Griz, you press a button and flip a lever. If you want a locked front differential you have to press another button. Yeah, that's much easier than on the Can Am. How about the King Quad? As with the Grizzly you gave it a 4. It seems to me the Can Am has the easiest system by far.

I'll agree with the shifting ease 3, but not the water tight transmission's 1. I've never had mine slip and it was well past the floorboards many times, not to mention all of the puddles I've splashed through at high speed.

One thing you didn't mention in the article was the D.E.S.S on the Can Am. How much is it worth to you to have peace of mind knowing that your quad can't "just" be ridden off. The keys on the Yamaha and the Suzuki are a cruel joke at best. Half a minute with a pick and tension wrench (or less if you know what you're doing) and the machines are gone. Do you think it might be worth $1150?

Compairing the price on a 700cc (or 750cc) machine and an 800cc machine isn't quite fair. Yet, you guys kept harping on it. It's funny how the guys in the magazine's next shootout didn't complain about the KTM being a $1000 more expensive than it's nearest competetor and they all had the exact same engine (except for the Raptor). I'm a little surprised that you didn't include the Kymco MXU 500 ($5999) in your shootout. It is after all their "biggest" bore ATV, right? At a whopping $1600 less than the King Quad it surely would have finished first in the shootout. Just think of what you could do with that extra $1600. Better wheels, tires, a pipe and still have chump change left over to fill the tank was what you said.

The Rincon coming in second as far as points? What world are you living in? Fantasyland? No low range, no horsepower, three wheel drive and a transmission that can only be worked on by the dealer? Yep that's worth 115 points in my book, NOT!

His response:

Yep, that was pretty much it from him. No response at all. Notice that I'm just being fair when I pointed out that the Can Am did NOT have the skid plate protection of either the Grizzly or the King Quad. Yet the article still rated it as the Grizzly or the King Quad's equal. And the Rincon out scoring everything else but the Grizzly? Please! Hey Lance, give me some of that stuff you're smoking.

It seems that you are blindly basing your "statistics" on magazine hype or what you read on here. But magazines and this forum are run by HUMANS. They tend to make mistakes. Some are done on purpose to sell ad space, some are accidental. Some are blatantly obvious, some are more subtle. You on the other hand will believe anything that is in print. Whether it is in some glossy magazine with tons of ads or here on this forum (as long as you agree with it).

Do I need to say more? Probably, because I used a lot of big words in thast last paragraph. Here's something you CAN understand.

YOU ARE BEING LIED TO BY THE MAGAZINES AND ARE TOO ****ING STUPID TO REALIZE THAT YOU ARE BEING LIED TO!

Now, be a good little boy drink your kool aid and go back to sleep.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MC Ballpeen

Destruction 101,

You are the kind of jerkoff that if the magazines told you to ride with a stick up your *** while riding you'd do it because "It's what the magazines say to do". Are you really that STUPID to believe everything you read? The shootout I read in Quad magazine was so full of factual errors that I actually confronted the author of that article on another board. Funny how he had no reply to me when he couldn't back his facts up with what I know to be true. Here's what I wrote:

I finally got a chance to read the article when my QUAD magazine subscription came. I thought you guys were fair in some areas and WAY off base in others. For example, skid protection. There is no way in the world that Can Am is equal to the Yamaha and Suzuki in skid protection. The rack ergonomics were also off. The fact that YOU kept hitting your butt on the racks doesn't mean we all do. The fact that I removed my racks not withstanding ( I don't carry anything I can't carry in a back pack or in the storage compartment.), I never hit the racks when I had them on. I have the Renegade pegs on over top of the old Outlander pegs so I gain an inch on my 6'0" and still never came close to hitting them.

4x4 actuation on the Can Am a 3? You take your right thumb and toggle the button. On the Griz, you press a button and flip a lever. If you want a locked front differential you have to press another button. Yeah, that's much easier than on the Can Am. How about the King Quad? As with the Grizzly you gave it a 4. It seems to me the Can Am has the easiest system by far.

I'll agree with the shifting ease 3, but not the water tight transmission's 1. I've never had mine slip and it was well past the floorboards many times, not to mention all of the puddles I've splashed through at high speed.

One thing you didn't mention in the article was the D.E.S.S on the Can Am. How much is it worth to you to have peace of mind knowing that your quad can't "just" be ridden off. The keys on the Yamaha and the Suzuki are a cruel joke at best. Half a minute with a pick and tension wrench (or less if you know what you're doing) and the machines are gone. Do you think it might be worth $1150?

Compairing the price on a 700cc (or 750cc) machine and an 800cc machine isn't quite fair. Yet, you guys kept harping on it. It's funny how the guys in the magazine's next shootout didn't complain about the KTM being a $1000 more expensive than it's nearest competetor and they all had the exact same engine (except for the Raptor). I'm a little surprised that you didn't include the Kymco MXU 500 ($5999) in your shootout. It is after all their "biggest" bore ATV, right? At a whopping $1600 less than the King Quad it surely would have finished first in the shootout. Just think of what you could do with that extra $1600. Better wheels, tires, a pipe and still have chump change left over to fill the tank was what you said.

The Rincon coming in second as far as points? What world are you living in? Fantasyland? No low range, no horsepower, three wheel drive and a transmission that can only be worked on by the dealer? Yep that's worth 115 points in my book, NOT!

His response:

Yep, that was pretty much it from him. No response at all. Notice that I'm just being fair when I pointed out that the Can Am did NOT have the skid plate protection of either the Grizzly or the King Quad. Yet the article still rated it as the Grizzly or the King Quad's equal. And the Rincon out scoring everything else but the Grizzly? Please! Hey Lance, give me some of that stuff you're smoking.

It seems that you are blindly basing your "statistics" on magazine hype or what you read on here. But magazines and this forum are run by HUMANS. They tend to make mistakes. Some are done on purpose to sell ad space, some are accidental. Some are blatantly obvious, some are more subtle. You on the other hand will believe anything that is in print. Whether it is in some glossy magazine with tons of ads or here on this forum (as long as you agree with it).

Do I need to say more? Probably, because I used a lot of big words in thast last paragraph. Here's something you CAN understand.

YOU ARE BEING LIED TO BY THE MAGAZINES AND ARE TOO ****ING STUPID TO REALIZE THAT YOU ARE BEING LIED TO!

1.Now, be a good little boy drink your kool aid and go back to sleep.</end quote></div>

2.Dude don't be mad that your alone alone in your conclusions on these ATV's. All the pros disagree with you. Stop posting excuses and bullshit.

3.Whatever dude.

4.Last I checked the Can Ams locker (viscko lock) chose when to lock the diff lock for you. You loose traction before you gain traction. Suzukis is on par with the Grizzlys.

5.Not responding to this.

6. No need to respond to this.

7. Dude i'm not debating the shootout you read and mabey you should take some time to read some more. I mean come on dude stop lying to yourself. It just so happens that all the magazines and testers agree and yet you still argue. They have no reason to lie your full of absolute ****.

8. Yeah but Rincons transmission is bullet proof and it handles great. Fun machine to ride and very reliable.

9. Dude you make all your accusations off of ONE shootout you read when there are dozens and ALL come to the same conclusion.

Further more you have not adressed anything I said above in my previous post about how the Grizzly outperforms the Polaris. Oh also just for the record the Grizzly has MORE REAR suspension travel than an 08 800 sportsman. Also if you want your suspension more plush on a Grizzly you can set it so it is more plush. Also never compare a McPherson front suspension to wide arc a-arm suspension. No comparison and that's why the 850 now has a-arms. You brought up untrue facts and now realize they are wrong and you are avoiding my other post. Trying to say the Grizzly 700 is the same as the 660 when EVERYTHING about it was completley reengineered and it's a totally different machine. Dude the list goes on and on how the Grizzly outperforms the 08 Polaris and all the 08 competition. The 09 Sportsman 850 will have outstanding performance and riding comfort but that's 09 and it has to many flaws that I have stated. Typical Polaris flaws like to much wiring, to much weight and size. A belt prone to breaking.

Quick Reply: Grizzly 550 FI EPS and Rhino 700 FI win 'Best of the Best' awards