Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I can Powdercoat now!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can Powdercoat now!

It's been a while since I posted anything here, but I'm pretty stoked about my new powdercoating set-up. I started getting into this because of the somehwat lackluster paint that came on my Blaster. So I went to get some quotes and nearly fell over. I couldn't get a couple of hubs done for less than 80 bucks, much less a frame for a decent pirce. So I got a cheapy Powder coating gun from Harbor Freight and now I'm hooked! This stuff is awesome. You can do so many things. For now I only have my Hubs done. My cost was much higher on the initial investment, but now I can do unlimited parts for that investment amount plus powder costs... and of course a little electricity. Here's my Rear hubs with a chrome looking base coat and a color that's called Bentley Blue Translucent. It almost matches the sonic blue on Ford Mustangs and other Ford models. VERY EYE CATHING. See what you think. ( I have done a lot of other stuff to practice, but this is my first Blaster Part )

Name:  BlasterRearHubs.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  81.4 KB
Name:  BlasterRearHubs2.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  100.3 KB

Old 10-08-2008, 02:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parts look great, what do you use to cure them? Heard of using infra red lights, is that what you use and if it is how well does it work?
Been toying with the idea of buying a setup for a while now but haven't really talked to anyone who had one.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

NO IR here. I spent a great dela of time researching and found a huge array of ideas that individuals have used to cure their powder projects. Evrything from just buying or acquiring an old used oven, to homemade ovens, to some pretty elaborate stuff. I started off with a home oven and figured out really quick, that I could only cure it If I could get it in the oven and not too close to the heating elements. Boy what a limitation.

Seems the hardest part was actually getting a cleaner environment to shoot powder in. I had to remodel my garage. I also installed an A/C unit and insulated the garage while I was at it. I did a whole bunch of things, from My Wife's Tiki Torches to Candle sticks, and more to get comfortable with the process.

Although there's a bunch of other oddities (including my ideas for business cards to start up a "hobby business") but take a look at some more on my photobucket page http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/

I figure I need to make some money off this stuff to, but I'm not doing a normal business with it. More of a "My frioends and Buds" side biz thang. A lot of the stuff on the photobucket are just that. Items for friends and family.... all of it in fact.

I bought a HUGE oven to do ATV and Cycle frames with 'cause everyone that sees this stuff wants something coated that won't fit in a home oven. So now I can really get to it.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

What part of the country are you in?

Old 10-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

I'm in Garland TX.

That's basically Dallas. Let me know If I can help some way. In the mean time, keep watching this thread and I'll shoot pictures up as I do Parts for my Blaster (or any other items that show the sweet appearance of this stuff)

I like the fact that once it's out of the oven, It's done... well with cooling time of course.

I gotta go get the bearings outta my spare swingarm so I can coat it....

Old 10-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

I should have answered better to Geomatt. my reasearch says IR lamps suck at curing large parts. IR heats the surface. Powder coating depends on part temperature to adhere the best. So I don't recommend any IR set-ups at all. Only in an oven (Electric for home stuff, but most of the really big guys use gas fired ovens to cure also. But the flame does not enter the "cooking" chamber.)

Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info, especially the bit about the IR lamps. Probably saved me alot of grief. Out of curiosity how do you heat your new oven? It is that big restaurant fridge in the pictures, right?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

There are two bake elements in it wiring through the back wall, Standing on each side like this - Mine's just like this one

My oven was built in PA by Ted's Fabrication - Bought off ebay.

I had to rewire my garage to carry the current of the oven/s and my compressor that I bought to power the Sand Blasting Cabinet.... It's a lot of stuff I have done to get here.

I admit I have gotten carried away, but I probably have over 5 grande in my set-up so far. That doesn't include powders and cleaners and strippers and blasting media and stuff........tape.... Special high temp tape..... I should have just payed the 80 bucks to get my hubs done huh? LOL

Old 10-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the information. Looks like you've got a good setup there. Now I just have to figure out how to justify mine to the finance department(the wife). Thanks again and good luck with it.
Matt