Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2001 yamaha electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 yamaha electrical problem

01 warrior when i bought it it was started with a battery charger where it turned over sluggish. but when it started it and it ran like arode like a monster. So i fiqured i needed a new battery but when i got new battery and charged it it still turned over very sluggish and now when i hit the start button the starter siloniod just clicks. but every once in a while it will turn over once or twice and it will have no spark than it will go back to clickin. the main fuse is good and even when i hook it to my f150 battery cables it will still click??? any good ideas will help so i can avoid the dealer charge to look at it i just got the clymer maunal and a voltmeter tester.thanks

Old 10-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like a power issue, have you checked the cables for corrosion? remember that they can corrode back into the insulation. the first rule of electrical systems is ensure you have a good ground. check the cables, then have the starter tested.

with it clicking after the battery was charged, the starter could be pulling more amperage, therefore working the battery and killing it, OR the solenoid could be bad. when your trying to start it, have you tried it with with headlights on? if so, when your tryign to crank the quad, do the lights dim or blink out?

Old 10-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just tried what u said cadidude the lights stay super bright and do not dim or cut off!!!

Old 10-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

i would have the starter solenoid and starter tested. it sounds like one of those might be the culprit.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

im gonna see if yamaha can test those on monday with out chargin me a whole lot

Old 10-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

You could take some jumper cables and connect to your truck and connect the negative to the Warrior engine and the positive straight to the starter terminal. If it turns over slow then, your starter is worn out. Sounds like the starter solenoid is working fine.

The clicking sound comes from the starter drawing too much amperage, or the voltage is dropping enough to release the solenoid while trying to start. This happens when you are trying to start it and the starter solenoid drops out because of too low of a voltage present, the voltage goes back up to sufficient voltage, the solenoid engages again, voltage drops again, solenoid disengages again, this all happens real fast and it continues the cycle as long as you hold the starter button.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

lol i was waiting for the pro 2 read this. i started me truck hooked the pos to the started solenoid and neg to engine and when i turned it over it just clicked everytime i hit the start button .?u know of anyways to test the starter of if like autozone or yamaha can so i know for sure its bad. thanks

Old 10-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

when the starter is tested, it shows how many amps it pulls to turn the motor over. i am not sure if the stealership can do this or not. i do not see why they would not be able to do this for you. i am leaning towards a bad solenoid in this situation. you said the lights do not flicker when you try to start the quad, so that tells me the battery is holding voltage. i would think that if the starter were pulling too many amps, the lights would flicker.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

well i un bolted the starter on my f150 and it did the same thing just clicked with the lights on and they did not dim out i also put screwdriver over both connectorson the starter silonoid and the starter did not turn over at all. i will call yammy ha tommorow and see what they can tell me

Old 10-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

your starter is bad, either your brushes or the plate maybe, i doubt the solenoid is bad, just take the starter off and go to autozone or advanced and id think they could test it. i used to work at an atv dealer and i def know how they like to give outrageous charges on things, and autozone would be free, you also can hook a testlight up to the end of the cable that goes to the starter and if its a bright light than the cylanoid must be working

Quick Reply: 2001 yamaha electrical problem