Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

500lb person question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500lb person question

I posted this in Polaris forum too but Im posting here because Grizzly was one of the models I was thinking about.

Hello,
First let me say yes I weigh 522lbs and hell yeah I know Im gonna die one day because of it, lol

That being said I cant walk a great distance without getting out of breath of course. I've come to a point in my life where Im tired of sitting home and staring at 4 walls. I used to hunt and fish all growing up, but I could move pretty good back then.

I've moved out in the country here in Louisiana and there are literally thousands of miles of woods and state forest land out there. I been contemplating a 4-wheeler for some time and thought I'd come to you guys and ask a few questions.

I'd like to know first, if its even possible to find a model to haul my big azz through the woods. I have a 12k dollar budget so money not really a problem. I have looked on the internet at several models from several different companies. I was hoping maybe a big 650 or 700 model would be powerful enough to do the job.
I know I want 4 wheel drive and a winch on the front in case I get stuck out there by myself.

Do you think one of the big models is what I'd need or maybe I dont need to waste the extra money and a 500 could hold me? Im not sure, because I saw some hunting site where a guy was hauling himself and 2 deer across the back of the 4-wheeler. He weighed about 280-300 and I imagine the 2 deer weighed a total of around 250-300. It was a 500 model atv but I dont remember the brand offhand.

Any tips or advice you can give would certainly help out. I have a friend that thinks I could get away with maybe a 500 model but said I should buy bigger just in case. Also was wondering if they have suspension upgrades like 4x4 trucks? Maybe something like a heavy duty suspension option?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Range Rover

You should look into the brute force 650 or 750, there pretty big, probably bigger then the other brands.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a guy around my area here riding a Tcat. Dudes 400+ I'm sure and he has no problems with power or suspension. Can't guarantee that he didn't do some suspension work but the engine is stock save for a high flow air filter and he can catwalk it.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider

i am 315 pounds, 6ft 1 and my 99 350 big bear 4x4 moves my big *** around with no problem at all.

and about suspension upgrades, that is where the money comes in. you can spend thousands of dollars on the gas reserve shocks. suspension parts are not cheap. id go for the grizzly 700 or one of the brute force models.

if i were you, i would go for the brute force now that i think about it. it is a V-Twin engine, so that is a lot more power and torque for getting gone. just take one thing into serious consideration. with you being a bigger person, if you run the risk of getting the quad stuck, make sure the winch on the atv can handle all the combined weight. the brute force is about 650 pounds or so, then add your weight and maybe a nice 200 pound 12 pointer. id get at least a 2500 pound rated winch with a handlebar remote just to be safe. the last thing you want is a winch failure especially if you are going to a lot of solo riding.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I weigh 320 and ride my warrior all over the place. I have even had my 110# son on the back for many a ride at the dunes--even done some pretty good hills like that. i would think that the biggest concern would suspension. 500cc+ should be plenty for you unless you want to race or something.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Yeah there are any number of Utes that will work fine...... there was a guy in Dirt Wheels a few months ago who said he was 600-pounds and riding a Honda Rancher for 1000-plus miles.... He was saying how he lost like 200-pounds but is still riding the same Rancher.....

So you should have no issues finding one that will pull you around..... plus getting out of the house and riding is a good workout so you might drop a few pounds just by getting out there and having fun.....

Old 10-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Cictowa ,

if you get the chance, I would like to talk to on a more personal level than inside these forum walls. I might can help you with alot of your questions pertaining to this subject. Hit me up with an email sometime... iroc_z_504@yahoo.com

Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

My grandpa was over 400+ and he would still ride my old moto 4 80cc around the yard. My grandma always said he looked like a chicken riding a june bug.

So any size quad will haul you around. Its a matter of how rough the riding is and how hard you want to ride it.

Myself I would say look at the new grizz 550 with p/s or the 700 grizz with p/s or without. They either one be powerful enough to haul you around. And one plus to riding you lose weight since I started riding hard again about 6 months ago i have lost like 30 pounds. And you wont get tired of having the power from either of those quads even if you lose some weight.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:26 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Motor size does not matter for comfort and room. My old 350 Big Bear and 450 Foreman could haul me (190lbs) and my 400lb of camping gear without a problem.

Most Manufacturers mid size 500-650 use the exact same size chassis as there 700cc+ big bores. An Example is the 500 Sportsman and 800 Sportsman ,550 Grizzly and 700 and Suzuki 450 and 750 King Quad.

The mid size and big bores have the same load and tow limits specs as the big bore version because there the same ATV with different motors . A 400cc + motors will never run out of power even loaded beyound there limits.

I used to load my 350 and 450 well over there load limits.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with a lot of what TLC says as larger engine size does not always denote a bigger bike. I believe any 500 cc up will give you enough power. Heck, my son use to put four people on his Prairie 300 to haul them back into the deer stands; looked like a circus act, but they had plenty of power. I think rather than power your priority is going to be comfort and "deck room" as well as ease of getting on and off. While I truly love my Grizzly 700 EPS, you might want to look at one of the Polaris X2 machines as they would appear to give you more room since they are designed to carry two. Also due to your weight, they may be more stable platforms with the longer wheelbase, depending on your type of riding. I sure agree about getting a BIG winch, mine has saved me a long walk a couple of times.

You might also want to consider a Side by Side as you can go most places you can with an ATV and they are much easier to get in and out of in addition to providing back support. I am fortunate to have both and use my Rhino more than my Grizzly; just a thought.

I am not a large person, but am disabled and know how important it can be for your physical and emotional well being to get out there and do some fun stuff. I can no longer ride my dirt bikes or Harley, but I still manage to get out and enjoy myself.

Quick Reply: 500lb person question