Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

500lb person question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500lb person question

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tripleR

Would you recommend aftermarket tires for all individuals or just this person? I weigh a little over 200 and I have never put aftermarket tires on any of my machines until I wore them out and have never had a flat or lost a tire or had traction problems. I have been riding ATV's since 1986 and now own a 2006 Rhino and a 2008 Grizzly 700. I do not, however, ride in significant mud as I do not like to tear the ground up and will wait until it dries up as I most often ride on my own land and not public trails.

I have been meaning to post this question for discussion, but haven't figured out how.</end quote></div>

It really depends on the person and their riding preferences. In this case, Cictowa rides in Louisiana so I assume he will be riding in muddy conditions some of the time anyway. Getting unstuck will probably be more of a challenge for him more so than the average rider so less time stuck will equal more enjoyment therefore a more agressive tire would be a good idea. Also, a 6 ply aftermarket tire has a much stronger sidewall, so less tire squat in turns etc. In your case the stock tires serve you fine so there is really no reason to upgrade other than to switch to a radial tire which will make you ATV handle much better, they do cost more though.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500lb person question

EastCoastWest,

Thanks, that pretty much matches my opinion in that tires and modifications should be individualized and should not be used because "everyone else has them". I ride much differently in my 60's than I did when I was younger. I don't need to upgrade my suspension or tires as they work fine for the type of riding I do. This is also probably true of many riders, but they don't want to look like "newbies" or for someone to get the impression they are not "hard core". I see this in modifications to firearms all of the time as well as 4WD trucks that will never see the dirt in a serious way.

When my tires wear out, I will not replace them with the same type that are on there now, but it seems a waste of money to go out and buy a new set just to look cool or brag about my mods. My machines are covered up in accessories such as winches, Ricochet skid plates, heavy duty bumpers and brush guards, and solid top, but these all serve a purpose.

OK, my Harley has a lot of stuff I don't need, but I bought it a long time ago and well, I wanted to...

2006 Rhino
2008 Grizzly 700 EPS Camo