Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2up ON GRIZZLY 700

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2up ON GRIZZLY 700

I am thinking of ordering a trunk seat for my 700 for the wife however I don't want to waste my money if it will be to off balance to enjoy riding. I have also considered selling my grizzly and getting a dedicated 2up model like a can am... Anyone have experience riding 2up on a grizzly???

Old 10-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

I ride with my wife on my 08 Grizzly 700, but we only use a heavy duty cushion and not the trunk. I too would be concerned about the weight distribution when using the trunk under certain circumstances such as on uphills and hard turns. I believe you will experience considerable under steer unless you add weight which I did on one of my ATV's to counteract this. I cast lead ingots and attached them low on the frame and it restored normal steering effect. Under "normal" operation I think you could do OK by cranking up your suspension and adding air to the tires. If I was thinking about going with a two-up machine, I would skip the two-up ATV and go with a RUV as they are much more comfortable. My wife loves our Rhino and it will go anywhere my Grizzly will.

Bottom line is I think if you are going to be riding two-up much, it would be better to go to something designed for this such as the Can Am or Polaris if you don't like the RUV's.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:03 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My friends 2wd 96 Kawasaki 300 Lakota has a trunk seat and handles any passenger with ease, I sure hope a full size Utility ATV can.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

It may boil down to what one considers "acceptable". My Harley handles two up riding OK, but the bike definitely handles differently with a passenger than without. Mine and my wife's first experience with ATV's was a Kawasaki 185 Bayou and compared to our dirt bike, it was great even though one of the front wheels was all too often in the air. We then got a Yamaha 225 Moto 4 which did much better, but under steered, so I added weight and all was well. A Kawasaki 300 Prairie was much better. We then went to a 700 Polaris Sportsman and finally the 700 Grizzly. The added weight and location of a passenger has affected the handling and performance of all of them to a more or lesser degree. The more aggressive the riding, the greater the affect. This is probably going to be an individual choice, but for me I prefer something designed for two passengers. But I certainly would not advise making such a decision without doing some hands on research. I have purchased some real crap based on someone else's opinion.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:32 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>We then went to a 700 Polaris Sportsman and finally the 700 Grizzly. The added weight and location of a passenger has affected the handling and performance of all of them to a more or lesser degree.</end quote></div>

I don,t think they make a ATV, even the two ups or side by sides were you can not tell you have a Passenger.

I don,t own one of those trunk seats,but I did drive a 500 Honda Foreman for miles on rough terrian with a adult passenger with those seats and found it handle them both well and I still enjoyed the ride.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, when I was young and an impromptu drag race came about, I would make everyone get out of my car and take the back seat with them. My bass boat comes up on step quicker with just me in it and yes, you can tell when someone is in the passenger seat of my Rhino. The most significant difference in "handling" with a passenger is on a a steep uphill run. This would be mitigated to some extent with the longer wheel base of a 2X and you cannot tell any difference in my Rhino as the person is right beside you and has a low center of gravity, not to mention it is quite a bit heavier.

I personally don't think the difference in handling with a passenger and trunk would be enough to bother me, but I can't speak for anyone else. I tend to be a "minimalist" when it comes to that sort of thing and would not put one on my bike; looked at it when I bought mine and didn't like it.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tripleR

I ride with my wife on my 08 Grizzly 700, but we only use a heavy duty cushion and not the trunk. I too would be concerned about the weight distribution when using the trunk under certain circumstances such as on uphills and hard turns. I believe you will experience considerable under steer unless you add weight which I did on one of my ATV's to counteract this. I cast lead ingots and attached them low on the frame and it restored normal steering effect. Under "normal" operation I think you could do OK by cranking up your suspension and adding air to the tires. If I was thinking about going with a two-up machine, I would skip the two-up ATV and go with a RUV as they are much more comfortable. My wife loves our Rhino and it will go anywhere my Grizzly will.

Bottom line is I think if you are going to be riding two-up much, it would be better to go to something designed for this such as the Can Am or Polaris if you don't like the RUV's.</end quote></div>

The dealer tells me that the rhino will fit in the back of a truck??? I don't see this happening. I have a f150 supercrew short bed.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

It would fit in an 8 foot bed, and would have to drive over the wheel well humps too.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with betaiota, it WILL fit in a full size truck bed, but you have to ride over the wheel wells as the Rhino is 54" wide I believe. Since yours is a short bed I would measure your truck bed with the tailgate down and then the wheelbase of the Rhino. I would be concerned however with bending your wheel wells as my son use to carry his ATV in an S10 and when he rode over them, they dented. I have a trailer with ramps that I use to haul my Rhino and and ATV as well. I am too old to be climbing in and out of the truck bed.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

I rode 2-up with my girlfriend on the back of my Grizzly 450 this past sunday... my girlfriend... since it was the first time.. we simply put a good cushion on the rear rack and she held on to me... I would consider some other kind of setup // possibly a trunk seat..

The quad performed great!! I just cranked up the rear shocks 1 click and went for it... we went over some technical terrain and the quad handled it fine! I was impressed. I had her get off during some of the really technical stuff (skid plate bashing rocks) or a steep section of the trail...

So if I can do it on a Grizzly 450.. a Grizzly 700 should do it just fine!

Quick Reply: 2up ON GRIZZLY 700