Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What Paint I should USE

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Paint I should USE

I want to paint my warrior frame but I am worried about the paint lasting for atleast one riding season any help would be great ANd I want it to look good

Old 10-31-2008, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Well, if you are open to waiting a while to do it I can let you know how mine holds up. And fair warning--its a hell of a lot of work and you better know what you are getting yourself into before you begin. I just recently repainted my frame black with Rustoleum Industrial Enamel, with lots of prep work, lots more prepwork, and even more prepwork, followed by priming, more prepwork, more priming, painting, and clearcoating. It looks great, but I am fighting with my clutch at the moment so I haven't had the chance to get it out and ride it yet. You have to take every last component off the bike to do the project right, and if you do not put the time into the prepwork it will not come out worth a damn. Honestly, if you can afford it the best thing to do is strip it down and get it powdercoated--that will last much longer.

Basically, unless you have your quad nearly fully disassembled already (as in the motor on the workbench, etc), I would not even consider doing it. I wouldn't have even thought about doing mine if it wasn't disassembled to the point in which it was and I was waiting on a couple of parts. Its a much bigger chore than you may originally think.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever paint you use, the key is to do many MANY light coats and not just 1-2 heavy coats. If you let each coat set and just about dry and and keep following it up for as many as you want, then top it off with a few coats of clear...... you can get a finish that is darn close to powder coating if you take the time.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

To save your self the trouble just get it powder coated but if thats not an option I agree with the above posts.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss97

Whatever paint you use, the key is to do many MANY light coats and not just 1-2 heavy coats. If you let each coat set and just about dry and and keep following it up for as many as you want, then top it off with a few coats of clear...... you can get a finish that is darn close to powder coating if you take the time.</end quote></div>

Exactly!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Trailblazer

Hey thanks alot fellas I think I will find out about powder coating well rather the cost, and if there is a shop close to me Thanks again I LOVE THESE FORUMS

Old 10-31-2008, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

A follow up on my paint job--I finally got the bike running today and the paint had a full week to cure and it is holding up excellent and looks great. I'll have some pics up soon.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer

Cool, I'm pretty new to the these forums but I will get some pics up of both of my projects mabe this weekend I think every one on here is a great help with all my ???

Old 11-01-2008, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Also, some food for thought--if/when you do strip it down to paint it, that is a wonderful time to replace all your a-arm bushings, wheel bearings, and front brake pads--some components of maintenance often overlooked.