Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Hampshire atv- Sport or Utility?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default New Hampshire atv- Sport or Utility?

The poker runs are usually in the fall or spring. Usually run by the various clubs. When you become a club member it's like getting the written permission to ride on legal trails. The clubs usually have different rides during the year. I've gone on a couple and they are nice. Our club went to Mt. Washington. They are allowed to ride the Auto Road once a year. They usually do benefit rides also. I went on a groomed skimobile trail by Lincoln, NH as part of a charity ride. That was pretty cool except for watching for the sleds. I have two buddies I ride with along with my oldest son and a couple of my friend's guys. We've been on most of the Sullivan County ATV trails and I've gone to Hopkinton Everett once. It was a nightmare. One trail was pretty nasty and took a bite out of my quad. Other than that it was fun playing in the two sand pits.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

without reading all the replies, you are in New Hampshire. you get a shitload of snow. that should be a deciding factor right there. kinda hard to use a plow on a 2wd sport atv. i would get a big *** wolverine if it were me choice.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

True true and well, I think I want a grizzly

Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cadillacdude1975

without reading all the replies, you are in New Hampshire. you get a shitload of snow. that should be a deciding factor right there. kinda hard to use a plow on a 2wd sport atv. i would get a big *** wolverine if it were me choice.</end quote></div>

Well southern NH doesn't get a Sh$tload of snow...... hahaha but hopefully northern gets a dumping again this winter!! I just spent $700 upgrading my rear skid on my sled.. new shocks / new torsion springs and some other gadgets!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider

I used to have a 2001 Honda Rancher and I am also looking at the 550 grizz with EPS and IRS. I live in southern nh and I too agree that untility is the best bet for nh. I also used to be a member of the New Hamphire ATV Club "http://www.nhatv.com/" NH ATV Club. and would suggest joining a local club. Man you guys have no idea how much I miss not having an ATV, I think about it every day, I cannot wait to the day I get that 550 Grizzly and get back on the trails.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Red when you use to ride, did you ever ride in Derry? Have you ever heard of Beaver lake, living in Manchester I wouldn't be surprised if you have. Did you ever ride on the trails around it? I know some are used for snowmobiles during the winter.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Yes I used to ride those trials in Derry, they were pretty good too. Not sure how to get to them from Derry because my buddy and would start riding in Freemont at the Rockinham Trail, bang a right at the power lines and spend all day riding we would cover Derry, Hudson, Widham, Salem and Freemont and Raymond. All these trails were connected when I used to ride. Not sure if they are still accessable though, its been a few years I have been without a quad.

However if you ever get a chance you can also check out Clough State park in Dunbartin. There are some very nice trails there too. The best trails are in Stafford (it's a hike from Manchester) and are managed by the North Country ATV Club. These trails follow rt3 from Strafford all the way to Canada with trails that are flat smooth and go through tons of farm land. It's heaven.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RedRancher

Yes I used to ride those trials in Derry, they were pretty good too. Not sure how to get to them from Derry because my buddy and would start riding in Freemont at the Rockinham Trail, bang a right at the power lines and spend all day riding we would cover Derry, Hudson, Widham, Salem and Freemont and Raymond. All these trails were connected when I used to ride. Not sure if they are still accessable though, its been a few years I have been without a quad.

However if you ever get a chance you can also check out Clough State park in Dunbartin. There are some very nice trails there too. The best trails are in Stafford (it's a hike from Manchester) and are managed by the North Country ATV Club. These trails follow rt3 from Strafford all the way to Canada with trails that are flat smooth and go through tons of farm land. It's heaven.</end quote></div>

I wouldn't do too much bandit riding in Southern NH. I used to bandit ride in Candia... and sketchy at best!

I rode Stratford trails and Millsfield pond area one weekend last year.. It was all Cruisers... Though I have heard they are better.... I have also ridden at Jericho park in Berlin this year.. It was decent - did 50 miles ... but again -- mostly cruisers.... I have not ridden Colebrook or Pittsburg on a Quad... though I know for a fact their Sled trails Kick A$$!! Can't wait for the Snow! --- ok sorry back on subject..

Most of the trails up in Northern NH that I have ridden are Cruiser trails; they DO NOT require 4x4... Personally not my cup of tea... I like the technical stuff... I bought a 4x4 quad for a reason [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] I hope to find more technical stuff... because I am about done riding at the one place where there are good technical trails that require 4x4.. well unless you are a throttle jockey you might make it up in 2wd...

As always Mr. Opinionated strikes again with my $0.02 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-12-2008, 05:38 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here's My problem with Sport ATVs in our terrain. 6 in boulders and 4 " of ground clearance under a weak rear chain sprocket can't mix well.

Do thay make a Sport ATV with a shaft drive? All the chain drive ATVs we rode with threw or broke a chain at sometime.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Steve whats the top speed on your Grizzly 450 would you say?

Quick Reply: New Hampshire atv- Sport or Utility?