Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Breeze Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Breeze Cold Start

Ok, I'm gonna work on it tomorrow and I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 11-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Range Rover

That is how the Breeze warms up. When you use the choke it basicly adds fuel and air to increase the rpms and allow the engine to warm up. Mine does the exact same thing, they all do if they are opperating properly. You need to clean the carb out, get a can of carb cleaner take out all the jets and look through them. You should see daylight through a small hole, either way spray carb cleaner through all the jets and circuits where fuel or air pass. Get a manual, you can find them on ebay for next to nothing. They will be on CD, not as nice as a paper manual but works non the less. I recently had carb problems with my sons Breeze, took carb off and broke it down, there were whole blades of grass in the bowl????? dont ask me how they got there. I also had to replace most of the O rings, a cheap varity set from a local hardware store will work fine. After cleaning the carb and replacing O rings, my sons Breeze does not need any choke to crank and run, it runs better now than when we first purchased it. Hope this helps.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well ya'll aren't gonna believe this... the reason the thing would not stay running was because the fuel valve was not turned all the way on!!! lol yeah I feel pretty stupid now but I got it running great anyway!

But now I'm having another problem! I got off the quad for a few minutes and let it idle to warm up and then I heard a loud snap and the engine stalled. I ran over and tried to start it back up and nothing happened, and it sounds like something went wrong with the stater motor. You can hear the starter motor running but it does not crank the engine at all! It seems as if the gear on the starter motor is not catching and you can hear it grinding from time to time trying to slip back into gear.

So I put the the thing in drive and rolled it down my driveway a few times in an attempt to get the gear to catch, and it started right up as soon as I hit the start button! I then killed the engine and tried to start it again and it sounded like the gear slipped out again. Well I got annoyed and took a break for a while, then came back 45 minutes later when the engine cooled down and it started without any problems. I shut it off and restarted it a few times to see if it would still work and it still started perfectly!

So, I'm not sure whats going on here but maybe someone else knows. I will make a video of it next time it happens and upload it to Youtube.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If it sounds like a bendix not engaging it's more than likely going to be the one way bearing. It's in back of the case on the left hand side. Not hard to change, but it takes a while to get to. You have to take quite a bit of stuff off to get to it.
Don't ask me how I know. It's was about 60 bucks or so.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks so much for that info! I just found this site and I see that I'm not the only one that has had this problem.

Yamaha Breeze Bendix Problem
And as stated on this site, the bendix doesn't want to engage when the engine is warm. That is the exact same problem I am having. I know where I can get the parts but now I need to know exactly what to do. Do you know any sites that have that information or maybe a manual I can download?

Also, what type of oil would you recommend I use for this thing?

Thanks again

Old 11-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

No problem. Sorry, I don't have a site or manual for you.

From memory, you have to pull the left side floor board and brace off. Then the clutch breather snorkel. Then you have to pull the left case half off. Then the front sheeve. There was one or two other things in back of the sheeve that has to come off if I remember right.

It's not that big of a deal, because I did it and I did not have a manual. Your going to need some tools like an impact driver or you will never get the case screws out. You should have a impact wrench to take the sheeve nut off. If you do not have these tools or can get ahould of them I would NOT try to do this job.

Also, you should take the the thing apart before you get the part. One or two of my springs in my one way was toast so it would not ingage the sprags. Yours may be the same way or it may just be dirty and need to be cleaned.

Let use know how you make out.

Oh, the oil.
I use Rotella 15/40 in everything I own. From a blown 355 small block to my lawn mower. Never had an out failure.
Don't sweat the oil in your Breeze. Any good oil will work.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello again,
Well the Breeze has been running pretty well so far, besides the bad bearing that I still haven't fixed yet. But today I was riding with some friends and they asked me why it wasn't shifting gears... Does the Breeze have more than one drive gear?? And if so, why wouldn't mine be shifting?

Thanks.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

The Breeze just has one foward gear because it has a CVT tranny.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Cean the Carb How to clean a carb right instructions

If jets will not come out just stick wire through it where it stands, I agree make sure plunger is clean and sliding smoothly.