Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

WARRIOR CLUTCH SLIPPING AT HIGH SPEED?? OR JET PROB??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:04 PM
DSI
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARRIOR CLUTCH SLIPPING AT HIGH SPEED?? OR JET PROB??

OK, i just bought a Warrior. not exactly sure on year, bout a 93 or so i think. runs good, and good at low RPMs. even SEEMS ok at high RPMs in lower gears, but in like 5th or 6th gear, running wide open, it starts to feel like it is slipping. Could this be?? at high R's only?? it is SUPPOSED to have a stroker kit in it. I cant confirm, but i do know it has a stroker cam cause i have the spec sheet on it. Think it is slipping?? Chain is loose to, and havent got a chance to tighten yet. could chain be slipping?? I mean it is REALLY loose, even with me on it. Also could it just be cutting out?? it had a stock exhaust on it, and i could not afford a new one so i custom fit a stock one off a newer YFZ450 then took out arrestor. to much air flow maybe?? need bigger jet?? HELP ME!!!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

when u go to take off how far out does the lever go before the clutch releases and it takes off?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:52 PM
DSI
Weekend Warrior

pretty far out really, bout the last 25% or so. I tried to mess with the cable adjustment on the bars, but no help........

Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

try adjusting it down on the right side cover where it hooks up to the clutch assembly

Old 12-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Why the hell would it have a stock exhaust if it had a stroker kit and cam? That would make me curious as the the previous owner's statements of the mods. Anyhow, you would know if the chain was slipping, it makes a ton of racket; but what makes you think its slipping? Can you further elaborate on exactly what it is doing?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 PM
DSI
Weekend Warrior

i wondered the same thing about the stock exhaust. i know for a fact bout the cam i have the sheet on it. and the guy i bought it from said he has seen the receipt for the crank, but i dont know, i could only figure the guy wanted to keep the pipe so he put the stock one back one before he sold, but who knows. and you can tell it is slipping becasue it goes thru all the gears fine, and then if you are wide open in 6th gear all of a sudden the RPMs will go up and bike slow. that shows it is slipping, RIGHT??

Old 12-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Yep, definitely slipping. Alright, do you have play at the clutch lever with it disengaged? If you have more than 1/4" or right around that then it sounds like your clutch plates are about worn out, and to be honest with it just being at high RPM's that already seems to be the case.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 AM
DSI
Weekend Warrior

I have to let out the clutch lever probably 75% before it even starts to grab. but shifting while i am riding, you can just barely squeeze and it is enough to shift. is there any adjusting i can do?? or have to be replaced?? easy to do??

Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

If you have play in it and adjusting it won't fix it, then your friction plates are worn out. (Only half worn out more likely, Warrior's clutch packs are too thin from the factory and start slipping before they really are worn out) When you pull the clutch cover to check it out if the plates don't look worn too bad you can get away with adding an extra steel plate into the pack to prolong the clutch life, and you may as well get some HD springs while it is apart. But if you have the money you may as well just replace the clutch while it is apart.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:23 PM
DSI
Weekend Warrior

where do i get an extra steel plate, and how much is a complete clutch if need be?? i am not very mechanically inclined!!

Quick Reply: WARRIOR CLUTCH SLIPPING AT HIGH SPEED?? OR JET PROB??