Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP! New Grizz 700 won't shift out of park!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! New Grizz 700 won't shift out of park!

I bought a new Grizz 700 on Christmas eve from an out of state dealer that has been very reputable. I agreed to meet him half way to take delivery of the new ATV. I got the Grizz 700 w/o EPS for 6590.

The owner of the place, a very nice older gentleman who has run the business for 48 years, met me. We tried to unload the bike from his trailer...and it wouldn't shift out of park. It was about 30 degrees and he had it in an open trailer for a few hours, so I thought it was frozen up a bit. I've never had a Yamaha and I didn't know what was/wasn't normal.

We monkey'd with that thing for about 10 minutes trying to get it out of park. We made sure we had the brake pushed, rocked it, shook it, etc. Finally it decided to give. He mentioned that he hadn't seen one do that before. I should have taken that as a warning.

I didn't get to ride it yesterday for obvious reasons, but I've been playing with it today a bit. A few times it has been tricky to shift out of park, but I've been able to get it done. Now, it is sitting in my driveway, and I can't get it out of park, again. Temp is about 35 outside. I let it idle for almost an hour. It is sitting on a flat surface. I am VERY frustrated.

I called the owners son and let him know what was happening. I also mentioned a few other things that I didn't like. The bike had 10 miles on it and I noticed it also had 14 hours. He said that was normal, as they let them idle in the shop. Is that true? Also the rear tail light was broken. They had agreed to send me a new one. They said they didn't know how that happened. Anyway, he told me the yamahas have very tight tolerances and when new it is critical to the outside ambient temperature. Well great. Now I can't drive it if its below 30?

I called him back after 15 minutes more, and told him I thought it was a mechanical issue, and not one of tight tolerances or "letting it warm up". I told him I think I should get a new bike and be able to trade this one out. He said that isn't possible, as this one is registered to me now.

So there my new griz sits, in my driveway, unable to move. What do I do? I paid with a check - should I stop payment? Anyone know if I have any legal options? Or is there a simple fix for this problem?

I need some good advice from the committee, and fast. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

First welcome to the form! Second that sucks about your new bike you are deff getting the runnaround and if I was you I would be on the phone with Yamaha customer sevice even thoe they will probobly tell you it is under the 6mo warranty and to take it to a dealer!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

3rd.........never let anything idle for an hour!

Old 12-26-2008, 09:10 PM
DCT
Banned

Reputable dealer my @$$. Are you kidding me... 14 hours on a brand new quad!

I hate to say this, but I think you got screwed, and they dumped a lemon on you... AND HE KNEW IT!

Hope you can get Yamaha to do something about it, cause I don't think this "sweet ole guy" is going to do a thing.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

I was thinking the same thing DCT.

I don't remember exactly what mine had..but I'm pretty sure it was 0 hours and 0 miles.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:28 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: wildwest1011

I was thinking the same thing DCT.

I don't remember exactly what mine had..but I'm pretty sure it was 0 hours and 0 miles.</end quote></div>

Yea, I hope the old SOB can sleep at night.

If he was ANY kind of dealer, he would have never let the guy take the quad in that condition... geezzz... a 2 day old quad and the guy has to post here to get his quad out of Park.

I would be camped out at that dealers house. They would have to call the cops on me to get me out of there.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:35 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dryflyelk

What do I do? I paid with a check - should I stop payment? </end quote></div>

If you can... I would... and I would let the dealer know... let Yamaha know... and let the local Better Business Bureau know.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Does anyone have a service number for Yamaha? I'd love to call them and ask them about this, and let them know what is going on. What/who should I contact?

Thanks

Old 12-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

Too late now, but you should not have taken delivery of it as it was obviously faulty upon arrival and I am assuming you signed all of the necessary paperwork in which you indicated it was in working order, so you are probably going to have to rely on the warranty. I have to agree that you have been seriously screwed, heck your first maintenance is due at twenty hours; you have bought a used bike essentially. Always let it warm up a "little", but it should shift without it even being started.

I am guessing it is a linkage problem or at least sounds like one. If you are mechanically inclined, go to grizzlycentral forums as there is a thread on there about adjusting the linkage under stalling.

Even if you can get it to shift properly I would do as others suggest and raise heck with the dealer, BBB and Yamaha Corporate to try everything you can to get a different bike as I am afraid that this is not the end of your problems and with the emphasis they place on initial break-in, you have not had the opportunity to see that it has been broken in properly, so no telling what you have ahead of you.

I always buy from the best dealership around because sometimes the best deal is not always the one that is cheapest. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:30 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dryflyelk

Does anyone have a service number for Yamaha? I'd love to call them and ask them about this, and let them know what is going on. What/who should I contact?

Thanks</end quote></div>

Call the dealer and ask him for the number for Yamaha. Stay cool, calm, and professional, but be firm that you think you have been given a "USED" lemon and you want to talk to someone at Yamaha if he is not going to make it right.

Quick Reply: HELP! New Grizz 700 won't shift out of park!