Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP! New Grizz 700 won't shift out of park!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! New Grizz 700 won't shift out of park!

What a bummer! I bought a new Grizz 450 last year and our Colorado temps are a lot colder than the 30s and I never had any issue with shifting at any temperature. Tight tolerances, my a$$! As said above, I would be concerned about what else is hosed on that machine. 14 hrs makes it sound like a return or demo and there are usually very strict state laws on selling those as new. In the past, I have filed a complaint with the state attorney general's office to get resolution on a matter against a major national mortgage company and put the screws to those a-holes. The AG usually take this kind of stuff very seriously. You might suggest that action to the dealer if he balks. Also, I would think that Yamaha would not look too kindly on a dealer making that transaction either.

And, unfortunately, there is a lesson to be learned here - - do not accept delivery on an ATV from a dealer unless it perfect and meets your total satisfaction. I have a bad feeling here that the dollars potentially saved will result in much cost in Blood, Sweat, and Tears before this the chapter is closed on this deal.

Keep us informed.

Best of luck!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

I would take off the left side panel, you can see from there the linkage. If you look on the motor end there is a cable that runs from your left brake lever down to there. You'll see the lock out part that moves so when you shift into revrse and park while pulling on the left brake lever. Most likely they washed it and it froze inside the cable and no matter how long you let it sit and idle for it would never unthaw.
I would remove the bolt holding on the shifter rod and remove the block off plate and try shifting it like that once and see what happens

Old 01-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

The good news!

After talking to the owner and the salesguy ( his son) several more times, and letting them know that it wasn't ok by me that a "new" atv arrives with damage, wear, and the simple fact that it doesn't work...they gave me a new one. I took delivery yesterday. Man, I am so glad that I got this taken care of. I was sick to my stomach. Me stopping the check probably had something to do with it. I can't believe the amount of wear that was on the machine, and looking at the brand new one i just got just shows me the difference between the two. We actually did find the problem when they came to get the old "new" one - a cable on the left handle behind the hard plastic piece had come out. The metal piece that holds it in was worn and bent. So much for being a "new" atv.

Thanks for the advice guys. The good guys won this time.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Congratulations on you new "new" bike. It is a shame they tried to scam you that way and probably would have gotten away with it if not for the shifting part. Everyone probably needs to be more vigilant when buying something like this, but most of us are just so excited we don't.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Yes Congrats! Good job on standing firm! Atleast the dealer came to realize the mistake he was making (even if it was from the stoped check) and bucked up to the issue and got you the new bike. Now the the question is will you ever return for service/repair?

Old 01-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

Congrats on getting the "right" resolution to a potentially thorny hassle. And happy new year!

Old 01-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who was the dealer??Nice if you you posted their name to stop them from burning anyone here atleast..

Old 01-03-2009, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

the numbers you need are in the back of the owner's manual. Please tell me you have read this through. I hope you get a break on this. best of luck to you!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

You have a 6 month factory warranty, I understand if you cant shift it out of park might pose a problem getting it to a dealer. Be prepared when you are able to shift it get it into a truck or trailer and bring it to a local dealer. Then buy a Y.E.S. Yamaha Extended Servicey up to 48 months. I have a 660 i have put it under water in 30 degree weather come out rode it and nothing has frozen. I am having either brake problems or driveshaft problems though. Good Luck.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

He got a "new" one now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]