Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'09 Wolverine Oil Change NEED HELP ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Wolverine Oil Change NEED HELP ASAP!!!

Well, it's been about 10 hours riding since I got my Wolverine, and I decided I'd drop it off at my friends house while I go to work to have him do the oil change for me. Well he then showed me how he changed the oil and I then went home and picked up my manual and now I have MANY concerns and questions as I think he may have drained the wrong bolt.

On my Wolverine there is a cap in the center under the frame, and he removed this to drain the oil. He said that it had a spring that came out with it and an O ring attached to it. After he drained the oil he just wanted to make sure that he drained the right thing and he checked the dipstick and it was bone dry. This makes me wonder ...

So then he changed the filter and then filled the oil back up and checked the dipstick and it was now showing their was oil in it so he figured he did it the right way.

Ok, now this is the issue I have come across. In the manual, it labels the drain bolt as something different, and then that center "cap" is unlabeled in the picture, so I am just wondering what in the world did he drain ...

Can you please help me as I want to make sure I do not go riding until I know that all my fluids check fine.

Here is the pic of my manual showing the oil cap and I circled the one my friend drained.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer

Dunlap I made the same mistake. I put mine back together as it was taken apart and have had no trouble. It appears to be some kind of strainer. I would be interested in what its for. I have changed oil a couple of times since that first one with no problems.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

so you just left it like that?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

Not sure what you are asking. When I took mine apart I put it back together like it came apart and everything was fine. Just make sure the mesh cage and the o ring were in place and it will be fine.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

I mean like you didn't go back and change the oil the way it says in the manual?

Old 12-31-2008, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer

No I did not. I knew it was motor oil that came out. I was very comfortable just putting new oil in and move on. It will be fine.

Still would like to know what the strainer is for though.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

yeah I'm going to call the shop and see what that is. I wonder what that o ring is too. Maybe it's for all the excess metal to catch in that basket. I noticed that when I took it out there was a lot metal pieces in there.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Ledawg

No I did not. I knew it was motor oil that came out. I was very comfortable just putting new oil in and move on. It will be fine.

Still would like to know what the strainer is for though.</end quote></div>

So you haven't had any problems since then? Have you been using the oil drain since too?

Old 12-31-2008, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer

No I have not had a problem and I have been using the correct drain now.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer

Ok good. I think it's just funny how they make it like that. You look under the machine and you think the biggest most center hole is going to be the one you use most ... which is changing the oil. Don't understand this at all, but oh well.

Quick Reply: '09 Wolverine Oil Change NEED HELP ASAP!!!