Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

newbee needs help on motor noise for 98 Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbee needs help on motor noise for 98 Warrior

Hello I need some help Ive only owned a 150cc china quad before so i dont know much about atv's i do have a little mechanical exp working on cars so here goes. I been looking for a 4 wheeler and contacted a guy about his 98 warrior. when i went to look at it I was impressed as far as how decent it was in , nices tires, seat, frame, exhaust , body plastic. I believe the kid took care of it he ended up buying a new utillity quad , that was his reason for selling the Warrior... When he started it up I noticed right away there was a motor noise, now to me it didnt have a low pitch sound like one would here in a car engine with a rod knock but more of a higher pitch clank to it. (sorry the best I can describe it) I tried to narrow down the area it was comming from but the best I could say was it seemed like it was louder on the left side (as if you were sitting on it) and to me sound like it was up higher on engine.. I tried to feel for around the block to see if i could tell where it was comming from and I didnt have a dowel rod but it seemed i felt a little comming from lower left side(block) . But doing a walk around it sounded like it was comming from the top end almost like a fuel injector firing but a lot louder and more mettalic sounding. Im sorry for the bad description. does anyone have a idea what it may be and a price to resolve it?

Old 01-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

P.S. I took a friend of mine that has owned several atv's now im he isnt a mechanic but has driven owned several atv's including the warrior he said it ran good had good power only thing he noticed was the noise and he said that I might have to adjust the clutch or a while down the road I may need to replace the clutch. thanks again

Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

its prolly ok, warriors have very loud valvetrain, no matter what you do there will always have noisy valves, some of the reasons are the large tappets on the rockers and also warriors require alot of valve clearance compared to other quads ive seen, when i installed my cam the spec sheet required for even more clearance....lol, so its most likely fine, if it starts,idles,shifts,accelerates fine then most likely doesnt have that bad of a problem or at least a pricey problem.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks I appreciate the info. I couldnt get over how decent it looked but when he started it up i was a little freaked . he started out 1100 obo but he is down to 800, it seemed a little cold blooded but other than that it ran good shifted good only thing my friend noticed was the front tires are a little worn but new mudlites on the back he said the steering felt tight as well. just a clutch adjustment could be needed but wasnt shot

Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

jump on it!!!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I would just check the valve clearances. It's real easy and is part of the maintenance plan anyway. You can download a free manual from sandwizards.com/tips&tricks and will tell you how to check the valve adjustments. Other than that, just ride the heck out of it and don't worry about it. The Warrior engine is one of the most reliable engines out there if you treat them right and don't modify them.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my raptor makes a noise on the left side also..So does every ones elses raptor I know..Also the Raptor forums lots of people desribe the same noise on brand new atv's..I think its pretty normal..Mine runs pretty damn good,never had a problem with it,even after hundreds of hard miles..

Old 01-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

800 bucks is a steal get on that as soon as possible.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I already bought the atv had a friend listen to it he said the noise is just the valves needing adjusted local guy said 60.00 for him to adjust it.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

More than likely Valves.. Same problem here. Adjustment helped a little but you will always have some noise.

Quick Reply: newbee needs help on motor noise for 98 Warrior