Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is it bad to ride without the Air Box Lid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it bad to ride without the Air Box Lid?

Hi,

Is it bad to ride my Raptor 700R without the air box lid?

some of my mates said that it will make it a little bit faster when I remove it.
but I want to make sure if it's ok or not.

also does it really make it faster?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:23 AM
Trailblazer

as far as i know it is fine to run without it i dunno about making it fatser but your filter will get dirtier alot faster but thats not to bad to fix you can always get pre filters to help that

Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 AM
Trailblazer

I see, but I'm not sure what's a "Pre Filter"

is it like this one?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:35 AM
Trailblazer

no it is a slip on cover that goes over your filter that you can wash to keep clean

Old 02-10-2009, 03:40 AM
Trailblazer

Ah ok I get it, Thanks!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would NOT recommend it if you ride in the dust or wet or mud..........ATVs have a ton of suction, a lot of PSIs pumping through the intake and they can and will suck anything and everything in. Running without the box top is something that is born from MX racing, and sand dune riding....... Sand is a bit too large generally to get sucked in, and MX racers need every advantage..

But if you are an everyday trail guy who might get into dust, dirt, pollen, silt, water or mud I would be very careful. The gains IMO are not worth the risk to the engine.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks allot for the reply!

But don't worry, I won't ride in the places you told me, Only on the streets without the air box lid.

will see if it goes any faster [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

It allows more air into your quad. Your EFI should be able to compensate by giving you more fuel. That will give you a little more power. If your running stock filter system trash that crap and get you a pro-flow kit. It will replace that crap Yamaha setup and get you a better filter that will increase flow much more. Plus it is much, much easier to remove and clean.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run my predator without an airbox lid, always have. I have an aluminum air box from UM racing with a large KN air filter and then a square pre filter that acts as the lid. I have no problems running it, but I avoid water as it will get into the box. I save the mud and water for the 4wd popo. It makes quite a bit more power combined with a full exhaust, but then again, the predator has a ridiculous intake system from stock that just chokes it out. I'm not sure about the raptor, but can only guess in stock form it is much more free flowing, so you may not see the gains that I do. I would run it without when it's dry out and try. Just know any time you go away from the stock filter system, which is the best filtration, you will see more air flow, but also more dirt will pass and likely reduce the life of your engine. I don't keep my atv's long enough to say what the long term effects are!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ss97

I would NOT recommend it if you ride in the <span class="FTHighlightFont">dust</span ft> or wet or mud..........</end quote></div>

Airbox lids filter out dust? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Is it bad to ride without the Air Box Lid?