Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My would be customer complaint letter to OMF

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2001, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried my best to purchase the reinforced ring wheels and tires from OMF, but the sales guy was a ..... Below is a copy of the letter that I sent the founder of the company. Some names, such as the customer have been changed.

Am I in the wrong here?
--------------------------------------------------
Tim,

I just wanted to comment on an event that took place today. I had spoken with you on the phone regarding the advantages of the Douglas wheels using your reinforced rings. To refresh your memory, I had asked if you could put it into perspective, and you said it would be hard to say if it was 50% or 100% stronger because it would be hard to prove it. I was shopping for Raptor wheels. If you now remember, we had a fairly pleasant conversation and it ended with me saying that I would probably call back the same or next day.

Well after further thought, I called back to order. Leon was the person on the phone and I questioned him on a few prices. I mentioned that I had a friend that had just bought some back wheels and tires from OMF and the price he paid was different than the price I was being quoted. That seemed to "go against the grain" for Leon as he immediately questioned as to whom my friend was. The tone was more of a, "I don't believe you, prove it" type.

Actually, I was shocked at the way he replied and I stammered around for a few seconds trying to recall the name (probably due to the fact that I haven't know him by his real name for long and because I worked 3rd shift the night before and that's not conducive to a razor sharp memory). I have corresponded via email with Mr. E. for some time, but only been able to meet up and ride with him and about 25 others on a ride that we arranged over the net. That is where I saw your product.

Leon's first response was that the prices he gave me are what is printed for Racer Net and to the effect that if they (OMF) wanted to give others a better price, they were not bound to give me a better price. He also went on to explain that Mr. E put in a larger order. I told him that from what I saw, Mr. E. only had back wheels and tires, but he said Mr. E. had agreed to purchase 4 more wheels and tires. I tried explaining that, to me, it wasn't the money, but now was a matter of principles. Since I was willing to buy 4 wheels and tires, I thought I should get the same type of deal as a person who had only purchased 2 wheels and tires so far. Leon responded that if that's the way I felt, then I just wouldn't be able to get any then and we ended our phone conversation.

After thinking about it for a while, I decided that your product was worth one more try and so I called back and spoke to Leon once again. I asked him if I was buying 2/3 of the amount of wheels that he said someone else was going to buy, would give me 2/3 of the discount that he gave them. His reply was, "It's not even worth my time to figure (or calculate) what that would be."

Upon giving me a price a second time, he actually went from $60 shipping to $70. The price for 4 tires and 4 wheels were just over $700 and still not wanting to let him get away with jacking up the price just because he didn't want to deal, I asked if I would put my order in, would he make it an even $700, a price that is still considerably more than my friend paid. He declined and I decided it was just wasting a phone call to try any more.

I hope that you receive this letter and that Leon doesn't intercept and delete it. To be sure, I plan on mailing a copy of it to you and I also plan to post this on a couple of ATV forums that I visit. I'm sure that your products are of highest quality, but the ATV community needs to know that you have a lot to be desired with your discriminatory pricing policies and customer relations department.

I'll hold off on my posting for a short time just in case you disagree with the way Leon conducted himself over the phone. After that, I feel obligated to let others know.

Sincerely,
S. Basham

Old 02-09-2001, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

"Am I in the wrong here?"

I wouldn't use the word, "wrong," Bash. A better question, "Am I being realistic, reasonable, and fair?"

Put yourself in Leon's place. He's given a price list and instructions. You call him up and demand a price Mr. E. tells you he's received. However, Mr. E. contracted for six items and you only want four. Leon says, "no dice" (as he has been instructed to do).

Do you think you are going to bring OMF to its knees with your letter, complaining because you were not given a quantity discount on a smaller buy?

OMF made no contract to sell to you at any special price; OMF can quote any price they choose to you, take it or leave it. The system is called market economy or capitalism.

You want a low price and that's o.k.; however, given the trick wheels are such a discretionary, luxury item, why quibble over a few bucks?

Think about your motive in bad-mouthing OMF. OMF made you no promises they did not keep. As far as you know, Leon quoted the racer net price accurately, and you're unwilling to buy the quantity (6) Mr. E. did to qualify for a volume discount. What, exactly, did OMF do wrong?

You asked for opinion by your question, "Am I in the wrong here?," I've shared mine; you're not in the "wrong," but you may be unrealistic and unreasonable. Also, you may be unfair to OMF in your poison pen campaign against them.

Diogenes

Old 02-09-2001, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

Diogenes,

Since I value your posts and they are usually thought out very well, I say point well taken.

However, you must understand that the other individual has not purchased the other 4 wheels yet, but only 2. I was willing to buy 4 at once. In fact, when I told him (Mr. E.) about this incident, he said that I may be able to combine my order with his when he puts it in for the other 4 wheels.

It's not so much the price as it is the way Leon dealt with me. I made no demands, only questioned why there was a difference in the price between what a friend told me that he bought his for and what I was quoted. As soon as I brought that up, Leon's demeanor turned negative. Also, he told me that he is the one that gave them a lower price, so it's not like his hands were tied if you take him at his own word.

In any case, I can get the ITP Race wheel for close to the same price if that's what I want. It really isn't or I wouldn't have tried to buy the OMF-Douglas wheels. To me, principles are more important than money or things that I may want. The money is not a real issue, it's the way our conversation went that will not allow me to be a customer of an otherwise good company.

Old 02-09-2001, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

bash...I applaud you for posting your grievance with this company on the forum. It helps all atvers get an idea who to do business with.
I agree with diogenes in that it is up to the company to sell their product for a named price and offer discounts based on volume.
You certainly were not out of line in asking about a price dicrepancy and asking for the company to price match you friends order.
The apparently insolent behaviour of Leon is inexcusable.
As someone who deals with the public each day representing a multi-billion dollar company I can say that there is NEVER a reason to treat the customer as anything less than superior. The attitude of a single "customer service" person reflects on the entire company for the good or bad. We all have our bad days but that is not the customers problem.
I would suggest this...
Call Leon back and appologize to HIM. Explain that you were having a bad day [no reason to explain the cause of the bad day] when you spoke to him last. Tell him you would like to place the order now if it is within his power to discount the product to the level of your friends order. If he says no, thank him for his efforts and then place your order thru your friend.
If Leon is still a jerk, send a letter to his boss that he was not customer friendly and that his attitude made you have a poor image of the company. You could also state that as a member of an ATV forum you feel an obligation to the rest of the ATV owning public to post difficulties you have had with your aftermarket suppliers and then provide a link to your posting.
This way you put the ball in the court of the person who is in charge and has the authority to do something.

Old 02-09-2001, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

What I got out of that letter was you are unhappy that you did not get a discount. Right? Well, poor thing. What makes you think they are obligated to discount to you? They can set the price whatever they want whenever they want without your approval. The free market will eventually validate their policies.

As a customer you have only one view. What you see from the outside . They could have dicounted your friend because at the time they were overstocked or it was month end and they didn't want to carry the inventory. There are a number of reasons.

We have not heard their side. I am sure you were just as much at fault for the attitude of the conversation as he was.

Old 02-09-2001, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

2001raptorrules,

If you read the letter and my latest reply and that's all you "got out of it", then I suppose I should praise you for even being able to make a post with some valid points. However, it's guys like you that expect and tolerate poor customer service that help to perpetuate further mishaps such as this.

I won't go into all the times, but for an example, by being a reasonable and courteous customer, I have been able to resolve tons of issues with items purchased through the mail or via the 'net. Dell Computer company upgraded me to a newer computer, a better monitor and so forth because I know how to deal with people in a good way. I find that when you treat people fair and they know it, they usually try to do the same for you.

The problem with OMF was not because I was out of line. Although not required to, Leon could have explained any number of things, including why he said the other customer had purchased 6 wheels when he had only recieved 2 and not yet placed the other order. Instead he basically stated that he could do whatever he wanted and if I didn't like it, tough. What he was stating is true, but still not the way to deal with customers.

Old 02-09-2001, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks hyperactivraptor,

From the last line of your signature, you should be in a position to know.

Old 02-09-2001, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

The problems in the aftermarket as I see it are basically two-fold. One, the market is small. Profit margins are high to keep the industry going. That is why there are such deep discounts avaiable at times. Two, the customer profile is extremely young. Remember you are in an old-folks class at 25!

My point was that they owe you nothing but the retail price period. You have no idea what is going on with "Leon". His boss may have chewed him out for dicounting the tires to your buddy. You do not know. You only know you did not get the dicount and he didn't kiss your rear and you didn't like it. Oh Well

Old 02-09-2001, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for your civil and understanding response, Bash; glad you appreciate I only expressed my opinion, without claiming it to be better than any other. I hope you settle the matter to your mutual satisfaction.

I understand you are unhappy because the volume discount afforded someone (Mr. E.) who agreed to buy 6 wheels was not extended to you for buying 4 wheels when requested; further, you consider the order clerk (Leon) inconsiderate; thus, you believe you are obligated to warn and notify the ATV community of what you consider mistreatment at the hands of OMF, because of principles you embrace.

I hope you get the wheels you want under satisfactory terms.

Diogenes

Old 02-09-2001, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

If I may speak in bash's behalf... he said he was calling there to order rims and rings for his quad not get his boots licked by some punk on the other end of the phone.
There are certain responsibilities that come with each job that we may have.
A corporate exec is expected to keep the secrets of the corporation and not divulge that to the competition, even if he thinks the competition makes a better product.
The guy making the fries at the local burger stand is expected not to spit in the fries or throw them back in the fryer if they fall on the floor.
The president is expected to treat the interns with decency and respect.
Leon at OMF should treat existing and potential customers with courtesy.
Some people with the above positions do NOT do what you would expect them to. That doesn't make what they do right. AND that doesn't make someone that expects those things from them overly sensitive or demanding.

Quick Reply: My would be customer complaint letter to OMF