Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior not starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior not starting

Checked the continuity from the start button to the solenoid and it is good.

Discovered something new. There is a yellow/black wire coming from the cdi to the starting cut off relay. I can jump the yellow/black wire from the relay to ground and the bike will start from the button, but the bike will now start while in gear, forward and reverse. As far as i know it shoudn't do that. Does anyone know or think this cdi could be bad.

Once again thanks for all the help from everyone.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

when you ground that yellow black wire are you grounding it to the frame or the battery? try takeing the wire off the nuetral switch and ground that see if it starts with the push button it will also start in gear if it will start, if it does than it would seem like your nuetral switch is bad, also do your lights work while the warrior is'nt running, (im just questioning your grounds), try running a ground wire from the battery to the frame, check your battery ground at the motor, these are only suggestions to try, it sounds like grounding that yellow black wire is doing somthing to bypass your nuetral switch, it shouldn't start in gear.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

I can start my Warrior no matter what gear its in, as long as the clutch is in.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Former Sponsor

yellow and black is the clutch sensor on my 99, it runs from the handle back to the CDI, just ground the switch out and it should start anytime you want it too. I was having the same problem.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

your right beefy mine does also, was thinking more towards the nuetral safty switch in an automatic vehicle.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, so here is what's going on now.

I bought a new cdi and sad to say my warrior still is not right. Here's the skinny, I've got a new cdi, solenoid, battery, starter, both relays, fuse and fuse wiring, and key switch. Not to mention I have totally rebuilt the engine from ground up.

So, this is what it is doing now with the new cdi this atv still starts in gear, forward and reverse. Which for me is a problem because I have an 8 year old that loves to ride. The run stop switch can be turned to the stop or off position and the atv still cranks. I've checked the switch and in reality it should work like it should but it does not. The only things left to replace would be the stator, rectifier and a hole new wiring harness. I've searched up and down the wires and can't find any problems. So why would it do this, I'm so confused at this point I'm ready to give up. Anyways back to the point it starts in gear, forward and reverse. Even if I disconnect the reverse switch and neutral switch.

As always I appreciate everyones help and hope someone will reply with some answers. Thanx.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer

Well you found your problem. The yellow/black wire coming out of the cdi goes to a starting circut, from there the wire turns to a red/white and runs to the start switch and a blue/white wire to the starter relay. Through the starter relay, it grounds to the frame via a black wire. NOW, grounding the yellow/black wire to the frame isnt exactly bad, but if you were ever to have a short circut, there is no fuse to blow, just the cdi. So I would recommend wiring the fuse into the circut. If you would like a wiring diagram, give me your email and I will send it to you. Hope this helps.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply Skatike27. I did figure it out, ultimatly, the cdi was bad. As for the problems I was having with the atv starting in gear. To everyone out there if you rebuild one you have to physically drive the atv because the electronics does not know what to do until it moves through the gears. I know this sounds wierd but thats the only thing that I had not done was drive it. Now all the switches work correctly but it looks like I have a carburetor issue, go figure. So, I'm almost there. I don't think I'll have any more questions but if I do I'll know were to come.

Thanks once again to everyone with there replys.

I really, really appreciate it. : )

Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

bypass safety switch on clutch leaver and try it.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

if tapping your solenoid will start your bike that is most def. your trouble. otherwise tapping solenoid would not have any effect.