Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster 2 stroke or YFZ450R

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well your kind of comparing two of Yamaha best known Quads. I own a 2001 Blaster all stock, and my friend has a 2009 YFZ450X. If you want something that you can just have fun in the woods and not go really fast stay with your Blaster. IF you want a bike that has tons of power that you can fly through the woods and have fun on a local track. Go with the yfz.

Blaster is a trail bike.
Yfz450 is a ready to race bike.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Raptor450
I would go with the 450. Modifying a Blaster is a waste of money. You could dump a ton of money into a Blaster and it will still not perform nearly as good as a stock 450.
Sorry to have to correct you on this one. But you are just mis informed, my son races a 2006 yamaha blaster in cross country and on a very regular basis embarrasses YFZ's. Stock and modded. Sure the yfz is fast but it is fast on the mx track where it was designed to run. Anything other than mx the yfz is just another trail clogging 4 stroke. Now with that being said. The blaster will not run with the yfz on the mx track so doesn't it reall depend and what he is going to be doing with the blaster? JS

Old 12-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Originally Posted by Brandon Fewell
Well your kind of comparing two of Yamaha best known Quads. I own a 2001 Blaster all stock, and my friend has a 2009 YFZ450X. If you want something that you can just have fun in the woods and not go really fast stay with your Blaster. IF you want a bike that has tons of power that you can fly through the woods and have fun on a local track. Go with the yfz.

Blaster is a trail bike.
Yfz450 is a ready to race bike.
Why on earth would you dig up an almost 3 year old thread? I would bet the guy does not even have a blaster anymore.

Maybe no quad at all in this ecomomy.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Originally Posted by HMT Racing
Sorry to have to correct you on this one. But you are just mis informed, my son races a 2006 yamaha blaster in cross country and on a very regular basis embarrasses YFZ's. Stock and modded. Sure the yfz is fast but it is fast on the mx track where it was designed to run. Anything other than mx the yfz is just another trail clogging 4 stroke. Now with that being said. The blaster will not run with the yfz on the mx track so doesn't it reall depend and what he is going to be doing with the blaster? JS
He never said he was going to race it until after I posted, that changes things some, he originally stated he wanted to have fun on the trails. If you just want to race in an organized race and stay in the Blaster class, sure keep the Blaster. For trail riding, I still vote for the 450, while neither would be my 1st choice for trails, the 450 has enough power and suspension to carry through way more than a Blaster would. I grew up on Blasters and even modded, they just don't have the torque to pull up some creek banks that we have here unless you clutch the heck out of it. Plus even with $1000 worth of aftermarket shocks the Blaster suspension will never be close to what a stock 450 suspension is.