Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Advice

1999 Yamaha Warrior. I bought this warrior for cheap, it wasnt getting spark. Found out the cdi was faulty, so i bought a so called "high performance cdi" off ebay. Put it in and the engine wont run right. Backfires and wont idle. The backfires broke my electric start system, how do I adust the timing to compensate for the "high performance cdi"?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!
Default Warrior Advice

I would say this "high performance" CDI is the problem. Who makes it? There are plenty of CDI's out there that can cause more problems than good. You shouldn't have to adjust any timing.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer
Default Warrior Advice

did it run for you before the cdi went bad , if you bought it not running it may not be the cdi that is causeing it to run poorly, did it run fine when you bought it?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Warrior Advice

The atv did not run when I bought it. I checked the stator, pickup coil, pulse coil, all were good, so I borrowed a cdi from my buddies warrior and then I got spark. So I bought the cheap "high performance" cdi as a replacement. The timing is like advanced, the thing wont idle but if you keep the revs up it will run fine. I have tired adjusting the carb and that is not the problem. Thanks for your input so far.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Warrior Advice

Hate to say it, but you need to try a stock CDI because the aftermarket cheapos are notorious for causing problems. Did it run OK with your buddies installed?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Warrior Advice

It idled good and didnt backfire, when I rev'd it up. I didnt really drive it though.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Warrior Advice

Borrowing your buddies again will be a cheap way to find out if that is the problem. I had a cheapie fry after only about 20 hours of ride time on a quad my brother built. Have heard stories of others being bad right out of the box. For some reason this seams to be an ongoing problem with the lower end aftermarket CDI's. If that is your problem, I would try and return it for a refund and go buy a stocker. As far as I know, pretty much all those in the lower price range are made by the same company or two, and are resold under a performance companies name.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default Warrior Advice

Well this thing has really cost me now. Because the timing advanced and it was backfiring, the starting gears took a beating with the one way bearing on the crankshaft and has broken the 1/2" jackshaft between the crankshaft and the starting motor. Along with wrecking the starter gear teeth and cracking both sides of the case in which the shaft sits!!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!
Default Warrior Advice

I honestly cannot imagine a bad CDI causing that big of problems. But anything is possible I suppose. Always go OEM or Dynatek for Warrior CDI's, and nothing else.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Range Rover
Default Warrior Advice

Man I can't imagine it doing that either without tearing up more than starter gears. My warrior has backfired hard enough to shoot 2 ft. flames out the intake and not mess anything up except my pants.

Quick Reply: Warrior Advice