Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Owner Of Used '05 Kodiak 400 - Have Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner Of Used '05 Kodiak 400 - Have Questions

Hello, I have bee going through the forums and was unable to find help with the following item on a Kodiak. Seems to be a great machine, it has a plow and the 'passenger' seat on the back. We'll be using it mainly for riding around on the beach in Homer during the summer along with some light trail riding. During the winter it will of course be used for plowing. [img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img]

The rear brakes (i believe its the rear brakes) make a screeching sound as the rear tires rotate. It stops fine and there is not any extra 'play' in the brake handle. What would be causing this? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Could it be some small rock in the braking system? Is it anymore difficult to do a brake work on a Kodiak than it is on a car with disc brakes (very familiar with working on disc brakes on cars)?

After sitting overnight I went to start it up (first day I had it) and it makes a very annoying BUZZ sound in the reft rear of the quad. It would Buzz and than sometimes try to turn over. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I finally gave up and pull started the thing, started up without much effort. Once the engine is warm it starts up no problem without the buzzing noise. It was about 20F outside when I first started it. Any ideas what this is? Is it just a common thing with these quads in the cold?

Is there an odometer or hour meter on this thing? If so, where is it? I see the trip-o-meter (obviously, its under the speedo).

Last but not least. What should I check and do for maintenance on this thing so it is less likely to give me problems down the road? The seller claims it has less than 200 miles and was mainly used for plowing his driveway (I;m thinking a transmission flush might be a good idea with all that back and forth in plowing). [img]i/expressions/light.gif[/img]

Thanks if you hung out this long to read this message, its a long one! I appreciate any answers on any of these items! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks!
~Kash

Old 03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Range Rover

hey, to get all the extra's on ur digital screen you must press 1 of the 4 buttens around the screan, the brakes... kodiaks bad side.. id replace with more expensive atv brakes and they will be perfect, i would flush everything in it and keep a log on it, so the cold thing, id say u may want to get that cheacked out, mine starts easily at -30c wich is one of the most cold days of winter.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. My 05 Does not have a Digital Screen, its Analog [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Any other way to check the hours/mileage? By replacing the brakes on it, I hope you mean just the pads. Not the calipers and all that jazz. Do you recommend a specific brake brand?

Old 03-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Range Rover

For your brakes i recoment EBC brakes, i have a link below, sent me pictures of the mufler engin ex. i will be able to tell the amount of hours or use roufly, If i were you id buy either a speedometer(100$ but show everything ,speed,hours,time,rpm ex.) or an hour clock, they only show hours

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/mb-atv.html

Simon

Old 03-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Range Rover

Brake squeel is common. I've changed mine out as well but did'nt help. The speedo and trip is what you got, nothing fancy on the Kodiaks. Mine has started right up at 5F above with no noise after sitting for 2 days outside. The buzzing could be battery. It should easily turn over at 20F There are some electrical components under a black piece of plastic with a screw holding it down. This is under your seat on the left side. Might be a problem with something there. Watch the rear driveshaft where it enters back of engine. Mine leaked oil out there after awhile but it was not the seal. The nut holding the yoke on was loose and just needed tightened. Some never have this problem. BTW mine is an 06' 400 Kodiak. There just as good as anything else out there.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:41 AM
Range Rover

The EBC brakes do work you see alot of reveiws on how to stop squealing and they all recomend EBC and I use myself and it works, I do not belive its your battery, If its in four wheel drive all the time this could be bad, during the last 4 months iv had 2 atvs do this to me, The gearing in the drivshaft goes bad, like were the yolk is, is they ter ul notice your 4x4 does not work anymore, 500$fix, I have a 07 450, not a big differance, same engin ex. just a few bonus's

Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I'll take some pictures of the muffler and engine today when I plow the drive. Definately don;t think I will be spending the money for a new instrument cluster, but will keep my eyes out. I'll grab some EBC brakes and hope that will fix the squeaking noise. Its not so much brake squeal because it doesn't make a noise when I apply the brakes, the noise only occurs while riding without any brake on at all. Thanks for the other tips, I will be sure to check the yolk and look for any leaking oil and be sure to tighten the nut while I am there. I used to have a Yamaha V-Star so I am a huge fan of Yamaha products. My motorcycle never gave me any problems and I am sure once I get these issues resolved this Kodiak I can expect years of enjoyment.

Is it possible to stiffin up the shocks that come with this Quad?

Thanks Again! I appreciate the info.
Kash

Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Range Rover

Sure can! you might need to get a tool from dealer or canadian tire , or some of them you can just turn yourself, see the odd looking partern at the bottem of shock, looks like a sound movment radar like they use for harts in the hosbital, thats the thing that turns, try moving with hand i will look for an online service manual

Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found a manual for a 450. Is everything pretty much the same between a 450 and 400? Except the engine of course.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Range Rover

i would contact a local dealer first, just google were u live then yamaha atv dealer, i have the same, service manial

Quick Reply: New Owner Of Used '05 Kodiak 400 - Have Questions