Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hello and a newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and a newbie question

Hello all,

I have a 2007 Grizzly 450 4X4 that I bought two weeks ago. I bought it from dealer and its purpose is for the farm and to play around a bit. I have been to Brushy ridge in Astoria twice and I noticed that the quad backfires...a lot. If I'm in low gear it backfires everytime I let off the throttle then again when the engine braking (transmission) lets go. In high gear, it will backfire when I have it pinned wide open then let out of it quick. I don't think this is normal. I need some input from other owners if it is normal, and if not what are some possible causes? By the way it has 2000 miles and aobut 260 hours. I have put on about 12 hours since I bought it.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like maybe its running a tad bit lean, hopefully somebody else can respond that owns a model similar to yours, either way it shouldnt be anything serious it might just need a carb adjustment.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Hello,
I have an 08 Griz 450 and haven't had any problems at all yet, knock on wood. The reason I am posting is because I wanted to ask you about Brushy Ridge. I am originally from Beardstown and now live in the Chicago area and know about the place but haven't been there yet. What's it like? I read that the boudaries are not clearly marked and that the adjoining owners are not friendly. Have you had any problems? I ride at The Cliffs in Marseilles and love it there, but every once in a while it's nice to go somewhere else. Where is it exactly? Is it near the old AMAX coal mine? I used to ride dirt bikes up at Summom and it was great, I wondered if that was where Brushy Ridge is? I appreciate any info.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

I asked this question about my 05 Kodiak 450. I got this response about it.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Find the idle mixture screw on the bottom of the carb. Slotted, brass. Adjust it CCW 1/8" turn at a time until the backfire stops, then 1/16 turn back CW. Test again for backfire. If it still backfires, go another 1/8 turn CCW, test, and then back 1/16 again, ect. until you get no backfire.

It is not unusual to get one backfire on hard, long deceleration, like running wide open then decelerating clear back down to idle, but no more than one pop. Multiple pops means it is still too lean.</end quote></div>

Old 03-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Brushy ridge is a blast. It's a bit technical for a beginner, especially if it has rained recently. There are hills, decent trails, a wide creek bed to play in. You (or someone your with) will need a winch if its rainy because there are some spots that are tough to cross with all the water. To get to adjacent owner's property, you have to ride through a barbed wire fence, so I haven't had any problems with neighbors, no. It's 15 bucks per quad per day and you will keep busy all day of riding and not get bored. It's easy to find too. drive through astoria and three miles past town there is a blue tourist sign. turn left and you'll be there in less than a mile. There is a website (google brushy ridge). If you call the phone number on it the lady is super friendly. I called (about 9 on a friday night) before we went for the first time and asked a bunch of questions. She was nice and answered them all.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Traildad

I asked this question about my 05 Kodiak 450. I got this response about it.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Find the idle mixture screw on the bottom of the carb. Slotted, brass. Adjust it CCW 1/8" turn at a time until the backfire stops, then 1/16 turn back CW. Test again for backfire. If it still backfires, go another 1/8 turn CCW, test, and then back 1/16 again, ect. until you get no backfire.

It is not unusual to get one backfire on hard, long deceleration, like running wide open then decelerating clear back down to idle, but no more than one pop. Multiple pops means it is still too lean.</end quote></div></end quote></div>

Thanks, I'll try it tomorrow!