Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

kodiak starting problems after cleaning carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kodiak starting problems after cleaning carb

hey guys, my friend just got a 2005 kodiak 400. It was sitting for a year with a full tank of gas. It ran and idled fine with some choke on, but with the choke off the idle was rough and sputtered and such, full throttle was still fine. We drained the old fuel out and refilled and took the carb out and cleaned it up. I just took the bottom half off the carb with the float inside and cleaned that all out and cleaned the jets out with some carb cleaner, air compressor, and paper clip, so i dont think i messed with to much i could of screwed up..however, now it wont start..weve tried the choke in multiple positions and adjusting the idle screw we got it to start for a few seconds but thats it. Its getting fuel, i open the drain at the bottom and it comes out and the spark plug appears to have good spark. If i give it throttle while starting itll keep reving, let go of throttle and it instantly shuts off.. Now i dont believe i unscrewed the pilot jet because i just read that its not by the other jets and therefore people overlook it which i believe i did..but would this need adjusting now?? and i dont think missing cleaning this jet has anything to do with it cause it fired up perfectly before and it seems i need a special angled tool to adjust this...but then again maybe i need remove this?? i removed what seemed like 3 jets all right by each other with a flat blade screwdriver..the one i removed also had like a nut on it where a wrench could be used and a small rubber oring..what are your guys suggestions or comments?

thank you

Old 03-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

The jet in the very middle of the carb that has the needle going into it is the main jet. It only controls like 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. The jet that is adjustable is the idle jet which should be about 2 turns from being all the way in. More than likely the idle jet is your problem. Clean it out one more time, adjust it 2 turns from being all the way in then give it a shot.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

now when you say 2 turns from being all the way in, your talking about the screw on the OUTSIDE of the carb on the bottom, right? or not.. cause i just got done playing with that screw and it made no difference. i have it at about 2.5 right now. or are you talking about something inside the carb

thanks

Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Its the screw on the outside of the carb between the center of the carb and the engine.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

yes. ive messed with this..didnt help, and now giving it throttle doesnt even give me some revs,, im thinking its spark plug even though it seems to show spark when i test it...