Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Back in the game

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in the game

Well long story short, I used to be on this website using AOL and dial up back at the turn of the century. Unfortunately I gave up riding around 6 or 7 years ago when my '00 warrior had a bad starter and a cracked frame. Initially I had the cracks re-welded, and had the quad apart waiting for a new starter after which I was going to sell it for college funds. Due to a very unfortunate family situation the quad has sat for the past 6 years. I can not stand it anymore and I have come back to this community for help. The stuff I know I need to address before I can ride it again or sell it. The starter needs to be replaced ( Its going for $170 on RM ATV) and I can have it installed down the street. Is 170$ a good price? Can I do it myself? Also I have since lost all the keys, and from searching I can just take the ignition to a locksmith...correct? I do remember keeping up on maintenance and draining the gas...so should I change oil, oil filter, spark plug, and fuel filter before bringing it for the starter? Also I am sure I have lost plenty of screws and bolts along the way, Do the Clymer manuals have this information...if so should I buy one and where. I know this is a lot but any help is appreciated, as I remember this is a great online community.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome back!

Definitely change all the fluids. Then check ebay and craigslist for a new frame, starter, and ignition with key. Im sure you will be able to find all of them very cheap.

Buy a repair manual and you will have it up and running in no time.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

That is ridiculous for a starter. I purchased a new heavy duty starter for my Warrior from DB Electrical out of Tennessee for $60 over a year ago with a one year no questions asked warranty. I do tons of water riding and snow and mud and have not had a single problem out of it. They are really simple to change, two screws hold it on and just one wire from the battery.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the quick replies! I didnt think of checking ebay but I am glad I did there is a lot of stuff on there. First off I am going to order a Clymer Manual, and I guess Ill just pick up my fluids and filters from a local shop, enless they are that much cheaper online. Then its time to order a starter off Ebay for around 60 bucks. But does anyone know which is a reputable company? Then I will take my ignition off and bring it to a locksmith, if that doesn't work there is an ignition with key for 30$ on Ebay as well. Then its time to peice it back together and hopefully have everything I need. I think Ill just skip the new frame for now as its a little to expensive and labor intensive for what I am looking for right now, but there are some great deals on them that I may see in my future if the welds crack. Thank you again. Also can anyone reccomend a good air filter as im sure that needs replacing, and also do I need a jet kit with a slip on? I remember only needing one for a full pipe but i dont know.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

clymer manuals could be a little bit better i must say.... i've found the best way to get the exact bolts you need and see where they all go is yamaha's website. you can pull up all the microfiche there. yamaha-motor.com then click sport then click the my yamaha under the search at the top then parts catalog on the left. or try this link http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

as for new parts if u ever need any ncy yamaha in cali has sick prices for mail order stuff.

1-800-225-1NCY and ask for mail order parts department i guarantee their prices will be a good 20-30% cheaper then you'll find just about anywhere.

i agree with skipping on the frame, thats expensive and a ton of labor. ebay is your best route to go for parts cheap. as for what starter brand i wouldnt worry too much with brand. if you do ebay and don't have a paypal account yet i highly recommend setting one up and paying that way.

there's your air filters... http://search.ebay.com/search/search...6fsoo%3D2&fgtp=

the k&n styles i wouldn't recommend in very dusty conditions, they dont trap fines as well as the foams do. but they offer more airflow... just keep them oiled.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

My family and some of my other buddies have all used DB Electrical for starters, they have an online store and they sell on eBay as well. 1 year no questions asked warranty, and they are very quick to ship the product.My family and some of my other buddies have all used DB Electrical for starters, they have an online store and they sell on eBay as well. 1 year no questions asked warranty, and they are very quick to ship the product.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I have an update...sorta. Stopped by my local shop today and picked up some chain lube, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, spark plug, and ordered a Clymer manual. Took out the quad and rinsed off the cob webs, regreased the nipples, lubed the chain, took off the starter, and took out the air filter and cleaned out the box. The air filter looks nasty, i tried to clean it but I dont want to chance it so I am ordering a new one. Can't figure out where the fuel filter goes...I would figure from the fuel switch to the carb but no luck. Can't find my spark plug wrench so that has to wait...anyone know the gap size? And finally I can not for the life of me get the oil drain plug off or find where the oil filter would be...I have DG skid plates so I hope its not hidden. I place the plastic back on and it brought back memories so I cant wait to get it going. Thanks for everyones help.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Range Rover

Once you get this thing going your not going to want to sell it..... according to the sevice manual the gap should be 0.024-0.028 in. Also, the oil filter is on the left side, towards the bottom of the engine, in front of the drive sprocket. It is behind a cover that has 3 bolts holding it on. Your skid plate should have an access to the drain plug. The fuel filter should be in-line between the fuel switch and the carb.

Last edited by Swerve; 04-03-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Warrior's dont actually have a fuel filter unless you add one--which is a really good idea to add one. Just cut the fuel line between the fuel shutoff and the carb and put the filter in-line there and hose clamp it on both sides. The other information from Swerve is dead on.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome Back to the Forums 03 wrb, I'm sure they'll help you out.

Quick Reply: Back in the game