Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine or Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 01:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah, and about the Kodiak having a lot more ground clearance. I don't think so, unless you keep the stock tires on your wolverine. I have the 25" tires on mine and it goes everywheres my buddies 93 Kodiak does. We went down a powerline in the late fall and it was full of ruts and water. He got jacked up in one spot, then I went through and I didn't drag. Depends how you set them up..

Old 03-12-2001, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

Hey there slywolf,
I'm just wondering if you had a chance to see how your Wolverine compared performance-wise to the new Kodiak.
I have to find someone who lives close to me with a Kodiak, cause I'm dying to see how they measure up.
The salesman at the dealer here in Sudbury had both of them and he told me that for performance there was simply no contest.
Same thing with the dealer where I bought my quad in NFLD. Now, I would think that they would be pushing the more expensive Kodiak over the Wolverine, (unless the profit margin is better on the Wolverine).
I test drove both as well, and didn't like the tractor-ish feel of the Kodiak, but of course I didn't get a chance to try them side by side. Too bad I could only ride one at a time.

Anyway, kissofdeath tells me that a Kodiak will out-perform a Wolverine, so I really need a second opinion.

Old 03-12-2001, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

My friend sold his 95 Lakota to another friend of ours for a blue 2000 Kodiak.I could out run both his Lakota and Kodiak on acceration and top speed but have not rode with the two machines at once.The guy with the Lokota race the Kodiak on a ride they both did and told me he could out accerate the Kodiak and they both had about the same 50 mph top end.If I had to bet I think a Wolverine could handle a Kodiak if the were raced easily.

Old 03-12-2001, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I almost bought a Wolverine last summer. Boy am I glad I didn't. My friend bought one & I got the 2000 Kodiak. He's kicking himself for it. Why? Because 1) he doesn't like the amount of shifting (he didn't think it would bother him) 2) It's more sporty that the Kodiak but not much. He thought it would be a lot more of a sport bike than it turned out to be. Face it the Wolverine tries to be half sport bike half utility but ends up being neither!

We switched bikes for an entire ride and we both agree, the Kodiak is far superior and the costs are not much different.

Old 03-12-2001, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'd go with the Wolverine. My friend has a '00 Kodiak and he says its pretty slow. {80 kmph)

Old 03-12-2001, 05:26 PM
Range Rover

Hey newf, (hope you don't mind me using the shorter version)

Anyways, I will keep you posted cuz two of my riding buddies bought the 01 Kodiak. One has stock tires and the other has 26" bearclaws. There will be lots of time to test all three in races and other conditions. I'm still betting on the wolverine for the drag race though. In other dept.'s we'll just have to see. If I can just figure out how to upload my videoclips I'll be sure to post a drag race with all three of us.. Can't fool the camera. This Wednesday were all going out for a cruise for the day so I'll try to get some shots in and post them.. Its kinda good because my other buddy has a 93 Kodiak so we'll be able to make comparisons with the old and new Kodiaks.

Can't wait till spring and snow is gone!!

Old 03-12-2001, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

That'll be great Slywolf, I can't wait to hear the results.
The tests we do include stuff like,
drag race from a dead stop,
roll-ons, (get going side-by-side at avg. trail speed, give the nod, and let her rip)
top speed, (of course)
drag racing up hills,
hi-marking (find a hil you can't climb and see who can get the furthest up)

These are just some suggestions.
My money is on the Wolverine for sure.

Old 03-12-2001, 08:18 PM
Range Rover

I'll keep your suggestions in mind when we go out this Wednesday. Depends if we mess around or not. We definately will try different types of tests for all conditions to see which is the winner of our little shootouts.
Should be fun!

Old 03-12-2001, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

If I were you I would go with the Wolverine, it is more of a sporty quad, but still has the rack for working.

Old 03-13-2001, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

In your trials to make a clear choice between the Kodiak and the Wolverine, money not being the decision factor, allow me to offer this: When I was in the same boat last June, I looked hard at only the Hondas and the Yamahas (two of the best names in motorcycles/atvs). The Yamaha (Kodiak) won due to the fact that it gave me light weight (lightest of the 4x4 400's), and the ability to run sporty in 2wd. When needed, the front end can be engaged and it will run wild. However, when you want to play, you have the sportiness and versatility of a 2wd. The Kodiak also has one of the highest compression 400cc engines on the market, giving it gobes of horsepower and torque (tow weight almost equal to grizzly). The Kodiak has the tightest turning radius of the 400 4x4's as well. The Wolverine is a good bike, and it definitely drew some looks from me, but could not persuad me enough.

I have been extremely happy with the Kodiak since buying it, and doubt I will ever look back. When I go riding, it is usually with Hondas and Kawasakis, and I can outrun them all on straight aways, and have more off the line quickness. Another fun item that the other guys don't have is the ability to do wild and fast donuts with aftermarket mud tires. A full-time 4x4 (at least the Hondas and Kawasakies) can't get into really tight and fast donuts with aggressive mud tires unless the mud is really sloppy (watery). All I need is an area big enough to spin the bike.

One other mention, I don't know if the Wolverine has an engine brake or not, but the engine brake in the Kodiak pays for itself all the time on the trail, by allowing me to stay off my wheel brakes (saves rotors and pads).

You have to be happy with your decision, but I don't believe you will can go wrong or will be disappointed with the Kodiak. If so, sale it and get a Wolverine (then sale that and go back to a Kodiak). You will miss the tight turning and the power outlet.

later,

Quick Reply: Wolverine or Kodiak