Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine or Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess you don't get any snow down there, but try doing a donut on ice in 4wd. It will blow your mind.

As for the engine brake. That's only an issue with CVT quads. All manual shifting quads offer engine breaking.

If you value light weight, then the Kodiak deserves a look. Yamaha rates it at 543lbs, which is pretty impressive. The Wolverine, however, is rated at 485lbs, and is, as far as I know, the only 4x4 available under 500lbs.

There is no doubt that the Kodiak is a fine quad with many things to offer, but the Wolverine is too.

At least we all agree that Yamaha offers the best choice of quads on the market.

What kind of Honda's do you ride with? In terms of performance, only the Rubicon compares to the Wolverine. Their other quads simply aren't in the same class.

Old 03-13-2001, 03:34 PM
Range Rover

Hey KodiakCat,

You have a good point about the 2wd/4wd option. Thats one thing I really liked about the Kodiak when I drove it. Only thing that makes me nervous is the price tag on repairs for it if or when it doesn't engage to 4wd when you really need it or vice versa.

About the engine braking compression, the Wolverine and all 4by atv's without auto trannies have good braking compression. Plus you can downshift to slow down fast. I know people who rely only on downshifting for stopping power.

I just thought of 2 great places for drag races down home. 1) Theres an air strip in a huge blueberry field that a few private planes use.

2) Theres what we call the Richibucto backroad which is a long straight dirt road that goes probably 6 miles from one end to the other, then you hit pave.

I know this has nothing to do with this particular thread but a guy was asking which was faster, stock 400ex or Banshee. Well last fall, we were on the backroad on the way back from a trip and my two buddies, one with 01 Banshee totally stock and another friend had a 400ex with performance pipe, rejetted with razrs front and back, and twist throttle. All three of us were at dead stop (I being just curious to comparing the Wolverine to these speed beasts) and we knodded and we all snapped hard on the throttles. Well I was behind in a hurry but they stayed together for quite a while, then the "stock" Banshee left the 400ex behind. Even more so once we hit the pave.

They tried with a slow speed start, dead stop and always the same results. Actually, some of the starts the 400ex would pull away at first but eventually when the Banshee would hook up, it was all over. Christ, I tried that 400ex before he sold it and man that thing moved. I wasn't used to the twist throttle and I turned it around real quick and almost lost it in a wheelie. phewf!

Sorry for that little story that had nothing to do with this thread but it came to mind while I was typing!

L8ter..

Old 03-13-2001, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I forgot about the f*&#(*& manual trans on the Wolverine. I will admit that on my atv or my truck, I want an auto. Oh well?!

Mostly ride with Foremans down here in TX, some Kawasaki Prairies, and very few Polaris or Suzuki bikes. The stock Suzukies can't hang, especially when it comes to deep water crossing. The Kodiak has one of the highest ground clearances and lowest seat heights (creating low center of gravity) of all the 300+ cc bikes running.

The Honda Rubicons have not had rave reviews yet from the folks I have talked too. One individual sold his 400 Foreman, bought the Rubicon, kept it in dealer shop all the time for repairs (electronic trans), and returned it after 3 months for 450 Foreman.

Since I use my atv for hunting and recreation, the Kodiak seemed to give me the best of both worlds (larger tow capacity than the Wolverine). I also liked the fact that it was water cooled vs. air. This benefits me in keeping engine cooler, especially on slow trail rides in 110+ summer temps.

The grizzly is awesome, but tooooo big!

As for the expense of fixing the 2wd/4wd selector, I will worry about that when I have to.

Also, I don't know about the Wolverine, but the Kodiak has complete marine grade wiring with water tight connections everywhere....

later,

Yes, we can all agree that any Yamaha machine is going to be good. I will also add that as long as you treat them right, I believe most of your atv's will last a long time.

Old 03-13-2001, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well said Kodiakcat!

Your right, everyone has there own reasons why they like either the Wolverine or Kodiak better and personally I like both machines alot. I ride mine all the time and am more familiar with the Wolverine compared to the Kodiak. I'm sure that if I had a Kodiak, I would like it alot. I don't know that if I traded my wolv. for one that I wouldn't miss it, actually I know I would because I'm totally impressed with my machine. You have to admit, its pretty unique in looks. It has its own distinct characteristics in looks, sound and performance.

I can't wait to get out on the trail again boys! Last word is just enjoy what you have and have fun with it.

L8ter and happy trails..

Old 03-13-2001, 09:37 PM
Range Rover

Don't know why it defaulted to my old username but that was my post above.

Old 03-13-2001, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

What is he talking about if you want to play get a kodiak. The Wolverine is what I feel you should get. It goes anywhere the big 4x4's go and keeps up in almost all the sport quad situations. I got mine last augest and have been compleetly satisfied with it. if you are worried about the 4x4 only Highlifter has just come out with a product called the Detroit Un-Locker which would solve that problem on the fly. It isn't yet available for the Wolverine but should be soon. Go to Highlifter.com to read more about it and their other products.

As I was saying, the wolverine is the ATV you want for mostly play riding. It is much sportier than the Kodiak but can still do some work. If you really want to know more about the Wolverine go to the ATV review section on ATVconnection and look at the wolverine. I don't know if they have one for the Kodiak but they might. Check it out. I read it over and over until I got mine. Well, thats my opintion. Good luck, and one thing to remember, use the info people give you but eventually go with your gut feeling and get what YOU think will be best

Evan Wolf

2001 Yamaha Wolverine 350 (blue)
-Oxlite cv-boot guards
-Dimondplate aluminum: bashplate,
front skidplate, bottom skidplate
2000 Polaris Trailboss 325
-Hand guards
-Speedo,odom,tripmeter,hr meter
-Rear 23" Dirt Devil Tires
-Front rack
1998 Yamaha RT-180 Dirtbike
-Bone stock screamer(2-Stroke)
1997 Sea-Doo GTX
(110HP 2-stroke)

Old 04-04-2001, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

Well slight change in plans on the new purchase of Kodiak/Wolverine. Wife just informed me that she is pregnant with our first child. For obvious reasons, this changes the outlook on my financial condition. Anyway I was leaning towards purchasing the Kodiak because of the ability to switch between 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive.

I am going to Cochranton this weekend for the Poker Run and will have the opportunity to drive a friends Wolverine. This will be a good test ride for me. Wishful thinking: Maybe the 2002 Wolverine will have the ability of 2/4 wheel drive.

Old 04-04-2001, 06:13 PM
Range Rover

I have seen on several other posts in this forum that there are plans to make the Big Bear and Wolverine selectible like the Kodiak. Check with your local dealer, or email Yamaha to find out.

Old 04-05-2001, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Don't forget that because someone says there bike has lots of power,rides good ,bla,bla,bla ,maybe that's there opinion but that does not mean it's all they think it is.Just a little reminder.

Old 04-05-2001, 09:17 AM
Range Rover

Hey rimerman,

I removed the rear seat and windshield from my Wolverine the other day and posted some pics on my site. You'll find them in the first shoebox. Also got some pics of my buddies 93 Kodiak with mud tires. Check it out..