Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine or Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2000 BearTracker this past summer on a whim and now am hooked on riding - can't get enough. My riding is all done on wooded trails in Western PA. The BearTracker has limited me in the mud, difficult terrain, and snow. Especially the snow. It has been an excellent entry level bike for me but am now looking to buy a 4X4. Can't make up my mind to buy the Wolverine or Kodiak. Am leaning towards the Kodiak as it has 2WD/4WD option. Quad will be used mostly for play with a little bit of work. Was looking for feedback from folks who have riden and are familiar with both quads. I like quickness and handling on windy trails and power to climb and run over things. Also what are the top speeds of both bikes?

Old 02-13-2001, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

Only have one thing to say, try both machines and then pick. Both are pretty different because one is auto and the other is manual shift. Two of my riding buddies just bought the Kodiaks but I haven't been out riding with them yet. I'm pretty sure that they will be able to keep up with me (I think) but I know they won't out run me. I can get between 60-65 miles/hr. One of my other friends has a 93 Kodiak and it can't even come close to the Wolv. on top end. If you check other threads, most new Kodiaks run between 53-55 miles/hr. If your looking to trail ride most of the time with little work (sounds like me) then I would go with the Wolverine but thats just me. Maybe in a couple weeks, I'll try the kodiaks and then I'll be able to compare both machines better.

Oh yeah, another thing is that all fall I've been riding with sport atv's like the Banshee, 400ex, 300ex and my Wolverine keeps up well most of the time, accept for wide open straights with acception to the 300ex which is almost same top speed. I even have an edge on them when going through mud and deep water so keep that in mind if you don't like getting your a** whipped and falling way behind on trail rides..

Good luck in picking the right quad for you!

Old 02-13-2001, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

If you are looking to play, rule out the Wolverine. I'm sure it's a fine quad, but if you like sliding sideways, and doing donuts, full time 4x4 will not allow it. I made the mistake of buying a full time 4x4 machine, I sold it and took a beating 2 months later. The Kodiak is very capable in all catagories.

Old 02-14-2001, 07:57 AM
Range Rover

If your looking to play don't buy the Wolverine? Thats exactly what they had in mind when they made the machine. It may not slide as well as a two wheel drive but don't think that you can't slide a 4by around. Even before I had my Wolverine I used to drive my fathers 300 Fourtrax and I could get it to slide around corners. I guess it depends on whos in the saddle. I like to drive aggressive and am not afraid of using the throttle and my body to get the machine to perform.

People make it sound like the wheels are locked to the ground and can't slide at all when going around a turn which is false.

I would beleive it with a machine like the Kodiak because its size and weight, but thats not the case with the Wolverine.. I did drive my buddies 93 Kodiak (full time 4by) and it couldn't slide.

Try both to be sure..

Old 02-18-2001, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

According to what you are wanting. The Kodiak will be a much better ATV for you. It will go in the snow and mud better due to its higher ground clearance and more power. Wolverines are nice but they need a lower gear for what you are wanting. IMO

Old 02-19-2001, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer

hey rimerman i live in beaverdale, pa its by johnstown, i own a 95 wolverine and love it. there good just for puttin around and if you want to rip.

Old 02-19-2001, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

all i have to say is kodiak

Old 03-02-2001, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I havent bought a new bike yet but plan on getting one before the Cochranton Poker Run in April. Still would appreciate any additional imput.

Old 03-09-2001, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

You will not be disappointed with the Wolverine. When I bought mine I was expecting a decent bike for a 350. What a suprise to find that it would outrun most 500's. The first few months I had it I liked it more and more every time I rode it, and even now I would not trade it for anything.
In rough trails the thing is untouchable, and if your friends have any thing other than sports bikes you'll be able to take the lead when ever you want.
As for all this $hit about it being no fun because it's a full-time 4wd, don't pay attention. There are other things it's missing too, like a speedometer, gear indicator and accessory outlet, to name a few, but how else do you explain it being the lightest 4x4 available, no matter what the size? It depends on your priorities, so if you like performance and handeling, go with the Wolverine. If you don't, than I guess is doesn't matter what you buy.

Old 03-09-2001, 05:31 PM
Range Rover

Hey rimerman, I finally got to try my buddies new Kodiak 01. Its a nice riding machine and very solid. If you don't mind a very heavy machine than Kodiak is fine. My buddy had the opportunity to drive my Wolverine while I was on his Kodiak and he was amazed at the power the Wolverine had compared to the Kodiak. Not to say that the Kodiak isn't powerful, it will, without a doubt drag my Wolverine (probably) because he had the lower torque gearing.
There is a big difference in the way they both put out the power. When you give the Wolverine a good shot of gas, its really snappy mainly because of the pipe and its lighter. The Kodiak is a more predictable power and not as snappy because the machine weighs more. He also liked the sound of mine with the pipe.

Take a look at the photos I took on our last trip..

Quick Reply: Wolverine or Kodiak