Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How do you remove the accelerator rod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you remove the accelerator rod?

I need to remove the accelerator rod from my 87 Warrior carb. It is stuck in the UP position I do believe because the carbs stick when the plastic cam tries to push the rod down.

Do I just pull the rod out? Or is it threaded in?

Does anyone have pics?? I need to buy the whole Rod Set because the black rubber boot ripped off. I do plan on using a stronger spring from a click-type pen.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

the rod you just pull out nothing holds it, theres just a weak spring underneath it and thats it, mine also has a stiffer spring, and when i cleaned my carb real good i sprayed out where the plunger goes then kept workin it up and down into its groove to make sure it was clean and wouldnt hang up on anything, my boot is also torn on the tip so its not sealing around the rod, i dont think its made much of a difference just leaks a very small amount of gas once in a while, i didnt think you could replace the boot since it looked like it was made into the carb itself.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

I was trying to help out Steve last night and that 'rod' is STUCK.

There is no moving it by hand. Was wondering if you could grab it with pliers and not destroy it?

That thing is bound up big time. He needs to get it fixed so we can ride !

Old 04-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Same thing happened with me, not a stuck rod but a torn boot. The rod just pulls out, no threads. Might be some junk between the rod and the opening it slides thru. They spraying carb cleaner in the opening and work the rod free. The boot is more of a dust boot than a gas seal and you can't but the boot by itself. The boot isn't part of the carb body its a press fit into the hole. I got my replacement boot from Mikuni, the tech happened to have an "extra" one laying around. Not sure where you live, but Mikuni is in SoCal.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got the rod out by wiggling it and pulling with some pliers and a towel over the rod to prevent gouging it. Then I swapped out the spring and really cleaned it good with carb cleaner. It would shot carb cleaner out the other hole when I shoved the rod down. Put it all back together and checked that it was squirting gas into the carb when I pinned the throttle.

It starts and idles great, but it has a mid-range bog to it under load. In neutral it will rev up just fine. So when riding it today, either easy on the throttle or pinned ran good.... in between it would bog and I'd have to feather the throttle.

I'm going to do some more reading as there seem to be plenty of topics on the Warrior carbs and them not running right. I'm going to throw a new spark plug in too, but don't think that will clear up the issue. It really has me wondering though... it is my dad's quad that we have had for 20 years!?!?! WOW just realized that HAHA! Anyways it has always run great, but we didn't use it for 2 or 3 years and it just sat in the barn. Then I wanted to use it and it wouldn't start, so he just took it to the local Yammie dealer and they said it needed a new starter. So when getting a new starter, he had them clean the carbs too. Well I got it and it was running a little funny, slight bog, but I didn't think anything of it and didn't use it very much before putting it away for the winter. Just got it out last week and now starting to deal with the carb issue.... was expecting it to just run fine like it always did... Oh well, it is getting old and weird issues do arise.

Thanks for the info so far guys!