Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2003 Yamaha Kodiak blowing oil out the...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is interesting. This is why I came to the forum tonight.

Second time out this year (first time was in the mud big time) I could smell oil burning and see some smoke. I was at the sand dunes, we towed it to the parking lot and I tore the entire thing down to find NOTHING, or so I thought. I finally looked up under the seat to see the oil dripping from the vent/overflow hose onto the exhaust.

I had just filled up the oil, and it was still full when I removed the plug. So I took the vent line off and tied it up above on my rear rack. I wasn't going in the mud/water for a while so I rode it like that. I've done 65 miles like this and after 15 of those miles the tube quit having oil in it. The diff is still 'full' its just down a bit from where it was.

Next time I am going to measure the exact amt. of fluid spec'd in the manual (.21 qts I believe) and try that. Hopefully its nothing major?

Old 07-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

I put the inline Ski-doo oil filter just below where the vent line goes through the hole at the top of the air snorkel, I then put a return line that follows the same route back as the vent line and just hangs out the bottom. Hopefully any oil that comes up the vent will collect in the filter and drain back down when I park it. I also put my new rear axle/bearings/seals back in today... I'm back in business!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

pretty common stuff, i used to be a yamaha tech. i had a bruin that did it if you rode at high speed for an extended period of time. brp actually makes the "accordion" that goes right on the vent line coming from the housing, i was gonna try one if the customer ever came back.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by EastCoastWest
I put the inline Ski-doo oil filter just below where the vent line goes through the hole at the top of the air snorkel, I then put a return line that follows the same route back as the vent line and just hangs out the bottom. Hopefully any oil that comes up the vent will collect in the filter and drain back down when I park it. I also put my new rear axle/bearings/seals back in today... I'm back in business!
Great idea.

I think I said before that I had ripped the line out from up there and just zip tied it to the rack. I have ridden real hard 2x since the problem and I have not had any leakage since.

I like that filter idea, its just like some of the guys have used with the crank bearings in the sleds. I need to check my fluid again and then put the line back up where it belongs.

Glad your back in business! I'm looking at trading my quad off...But we shall see!