Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How do you raise the needle jet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know theres a clip or some thing that you move but do you go from the top of the carb. or the bottom. Anything I should no about(flying out). Also, What do you think---1677 feet 165/170 mains -BG full exhaust,pro-deisgn pro-flow with abox mods- I shouldn't have to go any higher on the mains. It coughing and cutting out, just past 1/4 throttle all the way up. What needle jet setting should I put it on? What about the mixture screws?

Old 02-15-2001, 11:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Eric, when the throttle is wide open, the engine is primarily operating on the mains. The question is......what does your plug look like after a full throttle run? Is it sutty black or very clean? Your engine will tell you what it needs by looking at the plug.

Old 02-15-2001, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Eric, You wanna leave your needles on the middle clip position if you can if your still running lean (white plug) then you should go up on your mains. Once you get close a little black or tan (brown) plug you can fine tune it with the needles but I was always told to run the needles in the middle clip position if you can. If you raise your clip up on your needle you'll lean the quad out if you drop your clip down it will richen up because this will set your needle higher which allows more fuel. I would just go bigger on your mains for now because if its still missing that bad then the needle wont help that much.

Hey go check out my post where I said 250r's are overpriced (which I think all quads/bikes are) in the honda forum man I try to make a basic point and people just put nonesense responses back because they think I'm bashing the R which I am not just cant see paying that much for a 14 year old quad unless its totally redone. Just goes to show you that people are just looking to argue but when someone bad mouths me I do take it personally so I started back. Go check it out its funny and make a comment yourself because just your forum name will get most of those guys fired up.

Old 02-15-2001, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

Ya, I did see that post when I was in there. It was ridiculous--they are all stuck up on their pride. SH*T I wouldn't pay that much for an R. Unless it had one of those good frames(lonestar?) and FULLY modded,completely redone

Old 02-15-2001, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

It doesn't even get enough rpms up to get a good test on the mains, it starts cutting out.

Old 02-15-2001, 12:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Eric, the plug will still show what is causing the problem (lean or rich). Definately don't mess with the needles till the mains figured out.

Old 02-15-2001, 01:54 PM
Range Rover

Eric,

you have to in in to the top of the carb to access the needle. The clip will be in the center on the needle from factory. I would (did) only move the clip down 1 spot to richen the bike up. It just just a tad bit lean on the big end. Also you may want to change your pilot jets to 27.5's as they control the idle and low end circuit. Then turn your mixture screws out 1 1/4 turns out on the lh carb and 1 1/2 turns out on the rh carb this will also add more fuel. Now blast up and down the street thru 4th gear and check the plug. You should be set. Remember thought that is is cool out side and that when it warms up in the summer your bike will run a bit more rich than in the winter

hope that helps
mike

Old 02-16-2001, 10:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Mike, are you running a stock exhaust? Could you really feel any type of difference when switching to the 27.5's on the pilots? Did you try other settings on the pilot jet adjustment or just stumble upon a setup that seems to work well? When idling, does the plug get sutty (rich condition)? I raised my needles also and run 145/150 on the mains with no snorkle or baffle and was thinking about goin' to 27.5's on the pilots.

Old 02-16-2001, 12:49 PM
Range Rover

Gary,

I went with 27.5's because biggun recommened them. They simply allow you to not have to turn the air mixture screws out as far while still providing plenty of fuel down low. I do have a full pipe(biggun header w/whitebros eseries slip on) I have 4 1inch vents in the air lid flaps cut out of the snorkle and a white brothers air filter. Running 160/165 mains. At idle with the choke on full the plug will become black other than that it runs a just a shade of carbon evenly across the plug. It does not cut-out anywhere and it has strong power through out the power band ( it does not just hit hard in one place and fade off)