Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

grizzly 700 help! please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizzly 700 help! please!

got my 07 grizzly 700 all back together, rode for about ten minutes total. when i would let off the gas it made a whining, grinding noise coming from the right side of the engine. it shut down alot on it's own, and when it did it was just about impossible to get outta whatever gear it was in. i'm gonna take the cover off the side tomorrow if it isn't pouring rain all day, just wandering if anyone knows before hand what this could be. i'm thinking my clutch is going out, but transmissions and clutches are probably my weakest area of troubleshooting and experience in maintenance.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

It would most certainly help those in the know what it is exactly that you had it all apart for in the first place. Could be lots of things. Elaborate and I am sure that you will get the help you need. The amount of knowledge is awesome here.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

i replaced the cylinder. it was doing this just before i started tearing it apart in the first place. i just went out and ran it, and it runs fine at first, then once i got it warmed up my overheat light came on. it's got plenty of all types of fluids, and i dont think it's the clutch anymore. as long as you keep it going, it runs good, it's just once you stop, it stops and is almost impossible to put into neutral.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

quick question: if a bike overheats, can it make it shutdown and be hard to shift? i disconnected all my coolant lines and blew them out with air and one was clogged. put it all back together and now it doesn't overheat(duh) but it still makes the weird grinding noise. just wandering if i should consider the hard shifting fixed or if it could still be messed up

Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

IDK Mudhauler, sounds like a clutch issue to me but I really don't know. I am surprised that you don't have more responses about this. I wish I could tell you more. I am wondering what was clogging your coolant line? That seems really wrong. Was this quad underwater for a spell or something? If so that could answer the grinding noise if the clutches are damaged from dirt or corrosion. Are you running the right kind of oil? I have read that running the wrong oil, oil with the friction modifiers, will mess up your clutch. I wouldn't think that it would make it grind though. I intend to follow this thread to see if any of the guys will give you some advice here. Come on guys help him out here.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

I would guess clutch or belt.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

all my fluids are straight from yamaha, the recomended stuff. as far as the coolant line, i think it was just a mud dopper but i can't be sure as it flew out into the yard as soon i pressurized the line. it was a small line coming off the reservoir and i've had the reservoir open for about two weeks so i'm not surprised something got in there. i'm about to go ride it down at enid for a little while and try to figure something out, hopefully i'll have something more to add later

Old 05-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Range Rover

the same thing happened to my 2001 Yamaha Grizzly 600 and my neighbor said that it was bent valves in the engine i'll get more info and get back to you.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

it's not bent valves, we already checked them. i'm gonna bring it up to work tonight and let the guys up there have at it. they all have a huge amount of experience and one of them used to own a small atv repair shop, so hopefully i'll have some answers tomorrow