Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

valves clicking need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile valves clicking need help!

hi first of all im new so thanks in advance for any help i may recieve my problem is that i have a 1996 yamaha timberwolf which i bought about 3 months back i have some questions

1. What i think are the valves seem to be clicking, what happens if i just keep riding it and don't adjust them? How hard are they to adjust for someone with no experience in 4-wheeler mechanics?

2. I have oil in my airbox. A small puddle. What can cause this and how do i fix this?

3. The wires where the key is at on top of 4-wheeler are not connected to ignition side. There are 4 wires. A brown, red, black and a black with white. There are 4 places to connect them. The ignition, battery, accessory, and a place right in the center. If anyone can please tell me where they go. 4-wheeler will crank but i have to use a screwdriver on solenoid. Don't want to mess it up.

Any answers to one or all questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Trailblazer

running valves loose for long time frames can damage the valve seats and cause a floating condition where the valves are open longer and make the engine run poorly. I don't think the valves will hit the piston unless the chain brakes or the timming is way off. As for the oil, is it air filter oil from an over oiled filter? Or is it engine oil which blow by from the rings can push oil up the vent tube in the case into the air box?

Old 05-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Smile valve problems

hello thanks for reply. i will try to check them out soon just trying to figure out where to go. my local yamaha dealer chargers $65/hr so im trying to find a different place. ive been reading on other forums and read that bad valve jobs can lead to other problems so im thinking of taking it to yamaha. about the oil its coming from the crankcase so it might be blow by from rings. any way to fix this? thanks again for reply and hope to hear from you again

Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Loose valves won't cause any problems except a small performance loss. The valves won't open quite as far as they should so you won't get as much airflow through the engine.

Tight valves, a different story. But you could not hear them if they were tight.

Several reasons for the oil in the airbox.
#1 Bad rings causing blow-by.
#2 Too much oil in the sump which can come up the vent hose.
The only fix for the bad rings is a rebuild.

With a manual and some tools a ammature can do a valve adjustment. Not fun, but one can do it.

Can't help with the ign switch, sorry.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

Ok guys, not to hijack this thread but i adjusted my valves to mid spec and still have a little valvle chatter is this normal? Ever since have had my warrior the valves have had some chatter.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Range Rover

How often should I have my valved adjustened? I have a new grizz 550 and have 70 miles on it now.