Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

timing kodiak 400????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing kodiak 400????????

i put a new head on my 2001 kodiak 400 and now i have air blowing back through my carb when i try to start it i think my timing might be off but i forgot where to line up the dot on the cam sprocket and there are two lines on the other spot behind the pull start can someone give me directions on where to line up the dot and what line to line up with

Old 05-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be similar to my Wolverine,best thing to do is take the rocker arm covers off the head so you can watch the rockers,then turn the bolt on the crank clockwise,watching through the hole just above the cover you took off to get at the crank bolt.You will know you are close to TDC when you see the exhaust open and close, then the intake will open and close,that is when you look for the marks, an "F" will go by, then a "T", that is where you want to stop, both rockers should have a little play in them,and the cam gear dot should line up to the casting arrow on the head (you need to take the cam cover off,too).You may need to remove the cam chain tensioner and move the chain to get the sprocket to line up, then verify the crank time marks, set you valve clearance, snug down the lock nuts, or your rockers will come loose (trust me on that one).then replace your covers, and see how it starts.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

will do thank you

Old 05-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

my intake rocker has alot more play than my exhaust rocker what should the clearance be set at

Old 05-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know the exact specs for your motor, but a Warrior/Wolverine 350 is about .006 exhaust and .003 intake,you could call a dealer or shop for your specs, but those should get you in the ballpark.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

do you know how the valves come out of the head i just found my problem both of my valves are not closing all the way the intake valve stays open a little further than the exhaust if i use a screw drive with little pressure and help the springs come up the valves close and i get in the ball park on clearence but dont see how to pull valves thank you

Old 05-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

you can take a socket thats about the exact same size as the spring retainer and strike it with a hammer to knock it loose then the spring will come free and then the valve will be able to come out, when u strike it try to cuff your hand around the spring while holding the socket as there is usually two little pieces that will fly out that hold the retainer in place, just lay the head valve side down on a workbench with a rag under it when you do this and you should be fine just a decent little swing of the hammer and it should pop out.

hopefully you dont have a bent valve, if your timing was wayyy off then the valves could have opened when they were supposed to be closed and the piston could have hit them, hopefully not...

Old 05-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

do i need a bigger hammer to get it back together lol thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by fullerbass
do i need a bigger hammer to get it back together lol thanks
safest way to do it is with a valve spring compressor although some people have made there own with a bar clamp and socket welded together...

Tusk Valve Spring Compressor | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC